switch that turns lamp on

Old 02-03-07, 02:31 AM
switch that turns lamp on

I have a light switch that turns on the living lamp. However, I'd prefer that it didn't turn the lamp on. Is it an easy thing to fix?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-07, 04:05 AM
I am going to assume you mean that a receptacle is switched,m and that you have the lamp in question plugged into that receptacle.

The answer depends on what you mean by "fix", so we'll start there.

In many rooms of a house it is a code requirement for a light or a receptacle to be switched by a switch located near the entrance the room. This allows a light to be turned on and off when you enter and leave the room. If your fix would eliminate any switched receptacle in the room then it would create a code violation. However, if there are other switched receptacles in the room or if there are other receptacles that can be switched or if there is an overhead light that is switched then you can eliminate the switched receptacle.

To help us go further, please provide more details about what you want to do and about the wiring at the switch, at the receptacle and at other receptacles in the room. Remember to turn the power off when open junction boxes to answer these questions.

Old 02-03-07, 10:00 AM
If the reason is merely that it's annoying when you try to turn on the lamp but can't because the wall switch is off, then all you need to do is install one of those protection brackets over the wall switch so that it doesn't get turned off. Or, masking tape is the poor man's equivalent (get some tape that matches the color of the switch plate).

Old 02-03-07, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the replies.

It is the only switch receptacle and yes, it is near the entrance to the living room to turn on the lamp.

The problem for me is that it is for the same receptacle that my cordless phone is plugged into. Yes, I could just move the phone, but it is so convenient where it is, because it is located right next to where the phone line goes into the wall. I have Shaw digital phone (rather than a Telus line) and therefore, it is the only phone line in the house. (Telus usually has many lines, but I opted for Shaw.)

So yes, I could plug the phone in elsewhere, but wanted to avoid having cords running along the wall over to the next receptacle.

Thanks again.

Old 02-03-07, 10:42 AM
Depanding on how the cables run tothe receptacle you could make only one of the two receptacles switched. Turn the breaker off, open the receptacle and tell us all the wires in the box.

Old 02-03-07, 12:09 PM
Even though this receptacle is the only one switched, you may be able to switch another one.

You need to examine the wires at the switch, at this receptacle, and at the other receptacles in the room.

Old 02-03-07, 04:32 PM
Hi. I took the plate off the receptacle and am not quite sure how to explain where the wires are attached..........So hoping this makes sense: One is in the top left, and the other is in the bottom right.

For this particular light to NOT control this particular receptacle......... I'm wondering what it is I could switch. Do I change a wire in the light switch? or in the receptacle?

Thanks.

Old 02-03-07, 05:39 PM
We need to know all the wires in the boxes, what cables they come from and how they are connected.

Old 02-03-07, 11:05 PM
I had honestly thought it'd just be a matter of moving one wire (or something like that) and would be a two or three minute job. I had no idea that it could be a difficult procedure, so I'm thinking I will probably just get someone in to look at it.

Thanks again.

Old 02-04-07, 04:44 AM
To simply make the recetpacle non-switched would be a two or three minute job.

However, we are attempting to provide you with better solutions that will keep your wiring up to code and keep your situation safe.

Old 02-04-07, 08:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wait for more information, but, you will probably just be able to wire nut the top and bottom wire(s) together and put a blank wall plate over the old switch. Wait for racraft or someone else to verify.

What color wires, and how many are in this switch box, and how do they connect?