Pigtailing in a workbox

Old 02-03-07, 10:37 AM
Pigtailing in a workbox

I have a few problems here and there with nicked insulation in various device boxes. Whether or not it was pinched when they hung the sheetrock, I don't know. Most are on the neutral.

Anyway - what kind of rules/code do I need to adhere to when rectifying these? Am I correct in "remembering" that the box needs to provide at least 6" of wire out of the box to whatever device is attached?

And, in the case of the pigtail itself - how much am I able to work with into the pigtail itself. So far, the shortest repair has left about 3" into the pigtail wirenut.

Do the pigtail connections come into play as far as box capacities? I have two wall lights that needed to be pigtailed and am wondering if that added wire/wirenut comes into play.

The way I'm looking at it is that the light connection must now be done to the pigtail in order to provide that minimal 6" working length, true?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-07, 10:49 AM
The six inches of conductor is measured from where the conductor enters the box. Not sure which year this was added, but it also must extend 3 inches from the face of the box. the rule reads to mean which ever is greater.

any wire that does not leave the box (pigtail) is not counted for box fill.

I do not know of any way to legally re-insulate a wire, so technically if you cannot do the above, you need to re-pull the cables. (and backcharge the drywall hanger.

Old 02-03-07, 11:39 AM
They should be shot

OK - I thought the 6" may have been from the point of the pigtail. Those lengths you referenced are including the pigtail, right? Meaning that 3" I'm working with up to the pigtail is acceptable? If so, good deal. Sounds like I'm well covered, as far as lengths, etc. go.

The distance from where the wire enters the box to where the nicks all (more or less) seem to be is why I'm presuming it happened when hanging the 'rock. That and the fact that most of them are covered with texture. Sloppy work, IMHO. I would've stuffed the wires and stuffed newspaper in the boxes beforehand. It's not my line of work but it make sense to me. Me being so anal led me to clean the stuff off and lo and behold what I keep finding as I replace all these things.

This last one being so short (3" or so) made think to ask about the length going to the pigtail.

So far, I've been lucky with being able to 'save' it in the box. It all started when I was diagnosing why the end of run wall light didn't work but worked before the P.O. changed them out (damage from the mounting plate probably). Bad neutral feeding it. It was actually severed inside the insulation, which was nicked. Glad it was far enough apart where it didn't arc! Knowing there was a problem, I never used those lights.

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-03-07, 12:58 PM
Is damage to the cable jacket considered the same as damage to the wire insulation by the NEC?

Old 02-03-07, 01:03 PM
Damage to the cable sheath, the wire insulation, or the wire itself, is generally not repairable. That's because you have compromised whatever rating in conductivity, heat dissipation, and insulation value that it originally had. Somebody else may know otherwise, but I know of no code-sanctioned method of repairing any of this damage, other than to remove the damaged wire/cable.

Old 02-03-07, 01:23 PM
length of free conductor is based on the wire as first installed before pigtails etc.

you cannot add a bit wire to an otherwise too short wire and call it ok....

Get over trying to find a way arround the actual problem, and start figuring out how to replace the cables that are dammaged.

There is no legal way to do this, and we will not post "how to" for illegal ways.

Old 02-03-07, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
length of free conductor is based on the wire as first installed before pigtails etc.

you cannot add a bit wire to an otherwise too short wire and call it ok....

Get over trying to find a way arround the actual problem, and start figuring out how to replace the cables that are dammaged.

There is no legal way to do this, and we will not post "how to" for illegal ways.
A little testy here, don't you think jwhite?

I wasn't looking for you, or anyone else, to post an illegal way to solve this nor was I grappling with the problem - as in "get over trying to find a way around the actual problem". If you re-read my post, I was merely asking for the legal definitions of what can and cannot be done. A very simple query.

Your initial response led me to believe that compensating with the pigtail was the proper approach, which, in my situation, I thought may be the proper approach. The wording in your post led me to believe it may be - as long as the lengths were sufficient - including the pigtail.

Not a problem - now I have the answer. Thank you.

Old 02-04-07, 06:24 AM
I guess my problem with "damaged cables" is that apparently there are no standards defining what is acceptable/not acceptable.
In my mind there is no leeway on damage to the wire insulation that exposes the conductor. I wouldn't hesitate to replace a cable where the jacket was fully compromised exposing the individual wires. But what about a nick in the cable jacket that doesn't penetrate for the entire thickness?