Hardwired Disposer switch and GFCI outlet problems

Old 02-03-07, 05:06 PM
Unhappy Hardwired Disposer switch and GFCI outlet problems

Hello.
Next to my kitchen sink is my disposer switch (hardwired to the disposer) and outlet in a double box. This box is also part of a circuit, connected to another outlet. I am putting in a GFCI outlet and when I finished the connections and turned the power back on, the disposer is on and the switch does nothing.
I have six wires not including grounds.

I wired the box as follows:

Both black and white hot attached to Line on GFCI

Black Load off of GFCI pigtailed with other outlet black and attached to switch

Black from disposer attached to switch

white from disposer and other outlet pigtailed and attached to GFCI white Load.

I bundled the grounds and ran to GFCI.

The GFCI works but the disposer runs and cannot be shut off with the switch.

Pleas help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-07, 05:41 PM
Why did you mess with the wires connected to the switch? How were ALL the wires previously connected?

Last edited by racraft; 02-03-07 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-03-07, 05:47 PM
The circuit should be wired as follows:

Incoming line black to GFCI line black, incoming line white to GFCI line white.

Black pigtail from one switch terminal to GFCI line black, black from disposer to other switch terminal.

White from disposer to GFCI line white.

Additional receptacle black to GFCI load black, Additional receptacle white to GFCI load white.

If this doesn't work the switch is bad.

Old 02-03-07, 05:56 PM
itsunclebill,

Your instructions do not differ from the way he has it wired now, except that the GFCI would not be protecting the disposer under your plan.

I suspect that there are really two circuits involved and that right now the two circuits are interconnected, creating a fire hazard.

We need to know what thw wiring is at the disposer connection. ALL of it.

Old 02-03-07, 06:06 PM
I've tried two switches already.

Not sure what you need to know about the disposer connection. Is there a way to check if there are two circuits connected?

Old 02-03-07, 06:13 PM
I'm purchasing a home and in order to get the CO, some upgrading needed to be done. The old switch was ceramic and I thought I would need more room because of the GFCI. I should have written down how it was originally wired, but hindsight is 20/20. I do remember that there was only one wire going to the switch (black).

Old 02-03-07, 06:15 PM
How were things wired when you took them apart? Do you have a meter or test light?

Old 02-03-07, 06:29 PM
There is a test light for the GFCI. It seems to work properly, but when I reset, the disposal goes on without shutting off.

Old 02-03-07, 06:33 PM
What is the wiring at the disposer? ALL of the wiring.

Old 02-03-07, 06:45 PM
racraft-

Not sure what you are asking. The wire from the disposer comes directly to the box. One of the other wires to the box is coming from another outlet. The third wire to the box (hot), I believe comes from the breaker.

Old 02-03-07, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by DOTSON
racraft-

Not sure what you are asking. The wire from the disposer comes directly to the box. One of the other wires to the box is coming from another outlet. The third wire to the box (hot), I believe comes from the breaker.

Are you 100% SURE about the cable from the disposal to the switch? Can you see where the cable goes when it leaves the disposal? Any chance it goes to another junction box before it goes to the switch?

Old 02-04-07, 04:40 AM
Open up the disposer connection and tell us all the wiring there.

Old 02-07-07, 06:41 AM
Smile

OK. I just opened the disposer connection into the wall. It is attached to one wire in a box that then leads to the disposer. I now realize that I had the wires mislabled. The wire I thought was from the disposer is acutally the wire for another outlet and the wire I thought was going to another outlet was actually the wire from the disposer. I haven't had the time to fix this, but I hope this revelation will solve my dilemma. Does anyone think otherwise? Thanks for all the responses.

Old 02-07-07, 06:54 PM
Understand that the disposal being on this circuit is a code violation, and might get caught by and delay your CO.

Old 02-08-07, 05:39 AM
Would a possible solution be to close off the other outlet in the circuit? What is the best way to rectify the situation?

Old 02-08-07, 06:56 AM
The code violation is that the disposer cannot share the same circuit as any counter top receptacles. To rectify this, run a new circuit to the disposer connection behind the sink and use the existing wiring to the receptacle/switch box as a switch loop.

Old 02-08-07, 07:15 AM
"run a new circuit to the disposer connection behind the sink"

Do I need to run a wire from the breaker dedicated to the disposer only?

Old 02-08-07, 07:18 AM
The best answer is yes, the disposer should be on a dedicated circuit.

You can probably get away with the disposer and the dishwasher (if you have one) sharing a 20 amp circuit, but if at all possible a dedicated circuit is best.

Old 02-08-07, 10:05 AM
Ok. Thanks.
I guess my next question would be one of logistics. How can I easily bring a new wire (21-2) to the disposer? I do have some access above the kitchen in an unfinished area of the attic. The breaker is in the garage on the same exterior wall the disposer is located.

Would it be unsafe for me to tie into the dishwasher? How can I tell if that's on a 20amp circuit?

THanks

Old 02-08-07, 10:23 AM
Cable routing is one of those you-have-to-see-it things.

Figure out which breaker shuts off power to the dishwasher (i.e., the breaker that makes it not work any more when you turn it off). Look at the number on the handle of that breaker. Before you turn it back on, test out everything to see what else might have stopped working.

It's probably not unsafe to put the dishwasher and disposal on the same circuit, but you run the risk of tripping the breaker if you use them both at the same time, especially if you run the disposal with a lot of garbage during the water heating or sanitizing cycle of the dishwasher. It may also limit your future choice of disposal and dishwasher. For example, you may not want to buy a 1 HP disposal but need to stick with the 1/2 HP model, and/or you may not be able to buy that special dishwasher with the sterilizing cycle.