Emergency Generator

Old 07-17-06, 12:51 PM
oonkj
Visiting Guest
Emergency Generator

I am planning to install a manual transfer switch (see link below)
to connect a portable generator. All of the generators I've looked at have the neutral bonded to the frame. From previous threads it sounds like this means that the generator isn't grounded through the transfer switch but needs a seperate ground. Is that correct? How do I ground the generator? Thanks in advance for your help.

http://www.connecticut-electric.com/6-5001.asp

Old 07-17-06, 04:46 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Look at the post on 7/12 for portable generator grounding.

Old 07-17-06, 06:43 PM
Here's the referenced link http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=270091

If this don't help feel free to ask on.

Old 09-17-06, 11:55 AM
oonkj
Visiting Guest
Nothing happened

Well, I'm stumped. I installed a transfer switch (see link in first post), I bought a 5500 watt generater at the blue big box store. I plugged in my 4 prong cable, fired up the generator.... and nothing happened! Breaker didn't trip on the generator. Breakers didn't trip on the transfer switch. (Breakers didn't trip in the main panel) But I had no power!!!! I don't even know where to start looking for the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-17-06, 12:10 PM
R
What have you done?

Did you measure the output of the generator? Did you verify it reaches the transfer switch?

Is everything wired properly?

Old 09-17-06, 12:48 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you have power at the other receptacles on the generator?

Old 02-05-07, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by oonkj
Well, I'm stumped. I installed a transfer switch (see link in first post), I bought a 5500 watt generater at the blue big box store. I plugged in my 4 prong cable, fired up the generator.... and nothing happened! Breaker didn't trip on the generator. Breakers didn't trip on the transfer switch. (Breakers didn't trip in the main panel) But I had no power!!!! I don't even know where to start looking for the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You may have to "flash" the field of the generator. This happens when the rotor's residual magnetism (used to start generating voltage) has dissipated. This involves connecting a DC voltage (usually 12V) to the field MOMENTARILY, usually 1-2 sec. For your specific model, I would recommend consulting the owner's manual, or contacting the manufacturer.

Don't rely on the "help" from either the orange or blue big box stores. They cover a variety of sections and may not have the knowledge necessary to give proper advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: