wiring for heat pump?

Old 02-04-07, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile wiring for heat pump?

hello , my current wiring for my heat pump was just (2) 10ga red wires coming from the breaker box. should i replace those wires with 10/2 romex or 10/3? I'm doing this because i'm replacing the wires and taking out the conduit. There was no ground wires or neutral wires run with these two red wires to the heat pump.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-07, 06:42 AM
I am assuming your heat pump is a 240 volt appliance. A such it needs no neutral. The conduit likely provided the ground.

Assuming that cable (and not conduit) is allowed where you live and that the heat pump is straight 240 volts, then use 10-2 with ground. If the heat pump is 120/240 (I am not familiar with heat pumps) then use 10-3 with ground.

But I have to ask. Why are you replacing the wires and conduit at all?

Old 02-04-07, 07:58 AM
Most heat pumps are streight 240. The only common they need is on the 24v side of a control transformer.

30 amps does seem kinda small. The heat pump lable should give a minimum circuit ampacity. MCA, and maximum overcurrent protection MOP. Sometimes all you will find is the FLA full load amps, and need to do the math, but this is rare.

I too am wondering why not leave the conduit and wire???

Old 02-04-07, 04:22 PM
Smile heat`pumpreply

thanks for the replies guy's. it's wired right now for 240 with 2 -10ga wires.
and a 30 amp breaker in the fuse box. the reason i'm changing things is i'm re-routing the heatpump lines and the electrical lines so i can put in a ceiling in that area. the way these lines were routed through the concrete block,they hang down to far.