15KW Natural Gas Generator Wiring

Old 02-04-07, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
15KW Natural Gas Generator Wiring

I will be locating a 15KW Ng Generator 130 feet (one way wire distance) from the transfer switch located next to my 200 amp service. The generator output breaker is rated at 65 amps and is of course 240 volts single phase. I plan on running the cable through my garage (open truss) and under my home in the crawlspace. My research indicates I can use NM-B 4 awg 3-wire with ground for this application, however I would like this forum's input and comments. Thank you in advance for your uncompensated time addressing my question(s).

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-07, 04:09 PM
In calculate that at the full 65 amps, you would have 2.1 percent voltage drop, which is fine.

Old 02-04-07, 04:17 PM
Thanks Bob.

Follow-up question:

I want to make a splice between the NM-B 4-3 with ground and the prewired 30 foot whip on the transfer switch. I have looked for approved splice boxes (an 8" X 8" x 4" would be perfect) but haven't located one with four isolated clamping terminals in that size box. Any ideas on where I can source one?

Thanks again,

Jim

Last edited by SecurityMedic; 02-04-07 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Added follow-up question
Old 02-04-07, 07:10 PM
the wire you slect is fine size to use for the 15 Kw generator.

But however i want to give you a head up with natual gaz meter you may have to increase the natural gas metering device to handle additional load beside what you have in your place now.

most home have 3/4 inch black pipe natural gas inside the home but depending where is the natural gas meter and the generator location you may want to run separeted pipe run to keep the gas pressure drop down somehow typically they will asked for 3/4 inch connection for natrual gas and 1/2 inch for LPG but have the gas company to check the meter flowage when you have the generator running at full load [ not at idle or freewheeling ] and your furnace is on the same time it should not drop below 10 inch W.C [ water colloium ] so just a head up to advoid some mistake along the way

Merci , Marc

Old 02-04-07, 10:18 PM
Thanks Marc,

I have been looking at that too. That is the second part of this project. My current input BTU/Hr for all gas appliances is 363,000 and the generator will add another 245,000 BTU/Hr bringing the total to 608,000. A call to the gas company this week will likely bring a bigger “cash register” to my property to handle the added volume. I’m going to run a dedicated 85 foot 1-1/4” iron pipe from the meter to the generator for this project.

Old 02-04-07, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by SecurityMedic View Post
Thanks Bob.

Follow-up question:

I want to make a splice between the NM-B 4-3 with ground and the prewired 30 foot whip on the transfer switch. I have looked for approved splice boxes (an 8" X 8" x 4" would be perfect) but haven't located one with four isolated clamping terminals in that size box. Any ideas on where I can source one?

Thanks again,

Jim

ok this item,

what we called insluated split bolt connector or the other device i am not sure what the link for that one but i will describe it best i can here

it is plastic/rubber coated set screw or bolt bar . you just instert the wire in the opening and use the wrench or screwdriver to tighten it up and the plastic or rubber coating on this will protect the wires from shorting and i think few Big box store may stock this other wise electrical supply centre will have this.

if i can find this on website i will post the url and you have to paste it over to your computer

Merci , Marc