Wiring Question

Old 02-05-07, 12:37 AM
Wiring Question

Currently in the garage, it is wired for a 1 light pull cord lightbulb, a duplex outlet, and a out door flood light (2 100W bulbs). the wiring has already been pulled to be replaced b/c a squirrel or something chewed up some of the insulation so everything was pulled for now and capped off in an electrical box. The squirrel and rodent problem has been fixed.

This is how it went originally. Not sure of the wire guage right now, but it is 3 wire, Wiring went thru the duplex piggybacked, then to enclosed electrical box, piggybacked with 1 line to flood light, other to overhead fixture.

suggestions, comments ?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-07, 05:18 AM
Receptacle needs GFCI protection.

I would have made sure I used 12 gage wire for a 20 amp circuit.

I would have added more than one receptacle.

I would have added a switch for the light, and perhaps installed at least one more light.

Old 02-05-07, 07:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If this duplex receptacle is on the ceiling of the garage, it does not need GFCI protection. You didn't state this.

If it is not on the ceiling, go with what racraft said.

Old 02-05-07, 08:51 AM
Is this an attached garage?

Old 02-05-07, 12:22 PM
detached garage

this is in the attic, with floor for storage, and outlet is overhead for garage door opener. the breaker, 15Amp, has GFCI at the breaker

Old 02-05-07, 12:27 PM
If you are replacing the run from the house to the garage, then definitely go with a 20 amp breaker and 12 gage wire. Better yet, run a multi-wire circuit so that you get double the power than a single 120 volt 20 amp circuit will provide.

Old 02-05-07, 12:39 PM
not running it all the way to the breaker for now. a lot of the wire is run under the concrete i believe. about 60 ft from the main electrical panel

Old 02-05-07, 12:42 PM
If you can go all the way back to the panel I would certainly do that. Even if you don't, use 12 gage wire in the garage to allow for future expansion.