Ceiling Fan wiring ??

Old 02-05-07, 04:24 PM
Ceiling Fan wiring ??

I am installing a ceiling fan in place of a standard ceiling light and am not sure about the wiring...the existing light fixture was on a switch and the 2 wires it had connected were red and white. The ceiling fan wiring calls for a black (which I am assuming is the existing red), a white (again I assume is the existing white), a green ( I know that this is normally a copper or green ground wire, but none seems to exist) and a black/white. Up in the electrical box there is a black that is piggy backed into other blacks (there are multiple outlets that are also opreated by the same switch - not sure if this has anything to do with my issue). Any suggestions as to what I do about the needed black/white connection? Is this to go in with the existing unused black? And the ground wires?? Can I ground them to the box? Oh, the house was built in '72 and has not been touched until now as far as wiring ect.

Thanks,
Robin

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-07, 04:46 PM
Do you plan on having 2 switches for the fixture <one for fan, one for light>? If so, you probably don't have enough switched wires in the fixture box....

Old 02-05-07, 06:12 PM
Actually I planned on putting in a remote in place of the existing switch. I do not have a preference to seperate on/off switches for the fan. As I recall the last remote I put in like this just required the switch itself to always be hot and the light adn fan were then controlled soley by the remote. Any thoughts on my wiring issue? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-05-07, 06:30 PM
The red wire in the ceiling connects to the two fan hot wires.

The white wire in the ceiling connects to the fan neutral wire.

The ground wire for the light/fan connects to the metal box.

Old 02-05-07, 08:06 PM
Thanks much. I appreciate your help.