New service

Old 02-05-07, 04:37 PM
New service

Hi guys. I'm looking for a little feedback, as I'm ready to put in a 200A service for my house. Do any of you have experience with changing services while the residence is still occupied? I'm wanting to reduce outage time as much as possible. What's the best way to go about it? I've put in services before, but always as part of re-wires <unoccupied>. Building it will be the easy part lol. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-07, 06:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wink 1- way

Hi, Josh.

Get all the ducks in a row... Permit, poco servo # etc.. Schedule a shut down, Send the wife or others off for the day, Tear it out, put it back in,power up and get the inspection.

The inspection will not always be on the same day. Aside from having everyone get out and to work etc. It's the same.

Old 02-06-07, 03:15 AM
Lee.....thanks for the advice. I'm going to stop by the county office after work....I'm just a little unsure on how they'll view the swap-out....I want to put a 200A MCB panel next to the <existing> meter and sub-feed the existing interior panel w/ a 60A breaker......don't think they'll have a problem w/ it, but I've seen some strange things w/ inspectors....

Old 02-06-07, 04:28 AM
Make sure your work lights have a generator or good bats. Most refrig. will keep their cool for as long as it takes(several hours). In our area, the POCO prefers that they remake the house connection, so make sure that is properly scheduled if needed.

Old 02-06-07, 01:56 PM
I definitely will. I spoke with a county inspector this morning, and the POCO this afternoon....both said that it would be okay to pull the meter and temp. in the new 200A MCB panel w/ the existing drop....then sub-feed the existing interior panel-very little down time. The new panel will be located right next to the existing meter base, although the new meter base will <hopefully> be relocated and fed underground, just around the corner of the house, as well as an underground feed to the new panel. This temp. setup should allow me to build the new service while keeping the house power on, and after inspection, the POCO should be able to do their thing w/out any questions. Just waiting on the engineer now to ask if the underground service lateral is okay....don't want to have to punch a hole in the roof for a weatherhead!

Thanks for the help guys.