Question on material for main supply to panel.

Old 02-06-07, 10:43 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question on material for main supply to panel.

I am having a contractor do my wiring on new construction, and I noticed over the weekend that they ran the main supply from the outside box to the panel. I then noticed when cleaning up that there was some scrap cut-off wire from this main supply line. Instead of copper wire, they used aluminum, which was most likely done to be cheaper. Is this aluminum safe in this application? Should I request that it be pulled out and replaced with copper?

Thanks for any comments

Old 02-06-07, 11:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
Aluminum wires for feeders and services are commonly used. There should be no problems with your contractor using this wire.

This wire is of a different formulation than was used years ago for the branch circuit conductors for your receptacles and lighting circuits.

Old 02-06-07, 11:18 AM
R
While it is true that aluminum wiring for regular branch circuits is a problem (it is no longer allowed and if it exists it must be maintained), aluminum is allowed and perfectly safe for service wires.

Old 02-06-07, 11:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With regard to service cables, SEU and SER, in larger sizes (#2 and larger) all I have available to me from my suppliers is aluminum.

Old 02-06-07, 12:25 PM
M
Thanks for the replies.

As far as I know, everything out of the panel is copper, as I purchased all the 12-2, 14-2, and 14-3 myself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: