New Load Center Question

Old 02-06-07, 10:08 PM
Question New Load Center Question

Hi Everyone!
I have an old house which using fuses instead of circuit breaker. I wan to know if I can use a 125a meter with 125a main fuse (Murray) along with Square D homeline 125a Load Center. It is ok and legal for me to install a 100a main fuse for the Load Center? The reason I bought the SD homeline 125a because it alow me to have up to 24 circuits. It is a 3 bedrooms house that I have and I think 100a is enough. Any help from anyone would appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-07, 10:33 PM
there are few unanswered question there

is your house have this :

electric stove
electric waterheater
electric dryer

how big house sizewise ? in sq foot or sq metre

any other pretty big load you have like

central air or electric heater [ one of the two larger load ]

are you in USA or Canada ?? the code maybe diffrent depending on loaction as state as well

hope those question will help you to give you more info

once i get some basic info then we in this forum able to guide you to the correct size service

most home useally go with 200 amp due they add alot of fancy things later on the time

Merci , Marc

Old 02-06-07, 11:12 PM
New Load Center Question

The house is about 1500 living square feet. All my appliances using gas, the only thing that using electricity is the washing machine. I have no central heating or cooling system. My central heating is using gas. I am in California, USA.

Old 02-06-07, 11:23 PM
ok then 100 amp service will be just fine for your home

the term are you useing the main breaker or fuse because majorty of the home use the 100 amp breaker in your area but i am sure you have main breaker outside if that so let me know if i am right

Merci , Marc

Old 02-06-07, 11:38 PM
Out side of my house currently using an old style main fuse (2 round fuses in a cartrige) which is about 60amps. I will upgrade with a new service meter socket which contain a 125a main circuit beaker installed. Inside the house with a load center with a 100a main circuit breaker do to cost and easy access to turn power off to add in circuit. Would that be ok? Thanks.

Old 02-06-07, 11:50 PM
ok but before you get started with new service you have to check with the inspector and also get the proper permits and get all it in line so it can go smooth

if you want to change the metering system your self please do check with the inspector i am sure they have somekind of guideline what you can do and what you can't do

when you change over expect the power outage be out about half to full day if you get the paperwork and permits in correct order other wise the electrician can come out and do this for anywhere from half to full day depending on the set up

please do check with the local code for regaurding the meter socket set up and few other thing as like two ground rods plus #6 stranded bare copper wire

yes you can have main breaker outside of the building if your area require then you have no choice but do it

if you have more question please do post it here

Merci , Marc

Old 02-07-07, 07:23 PM
HMT > Hondatech