Baseboard Heater Wiring Safety Question

Old 02-07-07, 09:04 AM
Baseboard Heater Wiring Safety Question

I have a couple of questions related to Baseboard headers.
1. The house we purchased has a baseboard heater in the rec room already installed. It was installed by the previous owner. I have a question about its safety. It is wired 240, 1500 watts baseboard, grounded properly, but the no. 12-2? (red) wiring is running about 50 feet back to the panel to dual 30 amp breaker. Is the length of the run of any concern and is the amp ok.

2. I'd like to add a 2000 watt baseboard heater in the unfinished basement (kids will use occassionally)in another part of the house. The electrical panel is full. Can I double up the wires to the current dual 30 amp breaker associated with the existing baseboard heater in rec room? Is there any safety hazard associated with this, or will it just be an inconvienience if both baseboard heaters are turned on at the same time (assume the draw would trip the dual 30 amp breaker??, if this is the case, can I increase the amp safely to a larger amp?l). If it will be just an inconvienience problem (breaker tripping occassionally) I will live with it, as the rec room heater is seldom used.
Thanks very much..
Update:....
The wiring is definately #12/2 (CSA - Canada), but going back to dual 20 amp breaker, not 30. Yes this is the only thing on the circuit is the baseboard. The breaker model is siemens. Thanks

Last edited by Norm40; 02-07-07 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Updated for questions/correction
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-07, 09:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> wired 240, 1500 watts baseboard, grounded properly, but the no.
> 12-2? (red) wiring is running about 50 feet back to the panel to dual
> 30 amp breaker.

The 50' wire lengths are just fine. Are you sure the wiring is #12? Although this is not regulated by code, red jacketed cable is usually #10. Look closely at the cable for markings on the jacket to confirm the AWG. If you actually do have #10 wire, then the 30A breaker is okay. If you have #12 wire, then the breaker needs to be reduced to 20A.

> Can I double up the wires to the current dual 30 amp breaker associated
> with the existing baseboard heater in rec room?

Is the existing 1500W heater the only equipment on the existing circuit? What is the make and model of the breaker/panel?

> assume the draw would trip the dual 30 amp breaker??

For electric heaters wired at 240V, you may have up to 5760W on a 30A circuit and 3840W on a 20A circuit. Even if you decreased the existing breaker to 20A, it could safely handle both heaters.

> can I increase the amp safely to a larger amp?

No.

Old 02-11-07, 10:17 AM
FWIW, in Canada, red sheathed 12/2 is typical for 240V heater installations.

Old 02-12-07, 08:28 AM
Thanks

Thank you for your replys!!