Help rewiring Dayton motor for 220v

Old 02-02-07, 03:16 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Help rewiring Dayton motor for 220v

Hello:

I have an old Dayton 6K773D 110v/220v electric motor that I'm looking to rewire from 110v to 220v. Unfortunately, it is an older motor which I acquired used and it does not have a wiring diagram anywhere. The terminal block has 4 spade connectors labeled 1 through 4, from bottom to top, plus a ground connection. Connector one is a single connector that is currently wired to the neutral wire going to the plug. Connector 2 is a black wire that runs to the motor (I assume one of the starter winding connectors). Connector 3 is a dual spade connector (bridged) that currently has nothing attached to it. Connector 4 is another dual connector (bridged); one connector has the hot wire going to the plug, and the other connector has another black wire going to the motor (the other starter winding connector?).

If I had to guess, I would remove the neutral wire going to connector 1, move the black wire from connector 2 to one of the spades on connector 3, and run my second hot wire to the other spade on connector 3. However, I'd like to get confirmation before I do anything.

Thanks in advance.

J.B.

Old 02-03-07, 04:24 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I cannot find any info on the web.

Grainger Industrial Supply carries Dayton motors. You could call Grainger, and see if you can get a phone number to Dayton's tech support department.

Another option is to see if a motor re-wind shop will do you a freebee and ring the motor out, or tell you how to wire it. You may have to remove the motor from its mounts and take it in for the people to look at.

Old 02-03-07, 05:50 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I checked the Grainger website, and the part number comes up as a discontinued 2 hp air compresser motor. There is a picture of the motor showing a wiring diagram on the nameplate. Unfortunately, I have a crummy monitor, and can't quite make it out. Take a look, maybe you can.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611785942

If all else fails, call your local Grainger branch. They should have this information on file.

Good luck!

Last edited by Andrew; 02-03-07 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-03-07, 07:51 PM
J
Yeah, I can't make it out, either. I'll give Grainger a call. Thanks for the help!

J.B.

Old 02-08-07, 07:40 PM
J
Thumbs up Here it is

Grainger came through and faxed me a copy of the wiring schematic. I figured I would post it here, since it appears to apply to all K series dual voltage capacitor start Dayton motors. Go here for the schematic:

http://www.wrxtra.com/Misc/Electrical/Dayton/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: