Old Wall Socket

Old 02-09-07, 05:32 AM
Exclamation Old Wall Socket

I have a never-used old wall socket in a place where it is no longer needed and I want to properly remove/cover it up. Before I replaced that area of dry-wall, I wanted to remove the socket and put a cover plate over it(?). What is the proper technique of removing the socket, taking care of the lines, and using a cover before dry-walling.

Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-07, 05:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
By "socket", I am assuming you mean "receptacle". If so, you can remove the receptacle, tie the white wires together and the black wires together with B-caps, stuff them inside and cover the box with a blank cover plate. You cannot occlude it by using sheetrock mud, drywall, or anything else. It must remain accessible.

Old 02-09-07, 05:40 AM
If the wires remain in the box and the wires remain live, then you cannot drywall over it.

In order to completely cover the box with drywall, you must disconnect the wires at the other end. If this is an end of run receptacle, this is a straight forward task, once you find the junction box before this. However if this is a middle of the run receptacle then the job is harder, as new wire will likely have to be run.

Old 02-09-07, 06:07 AM
This box may be required by code. Unless you are building a cabinet in front of it, it may be required. Where is this receptacle located and what are the nearest receptacles to it? You are required to have a recepatcle within 6 feet reach of any wall space.

Last edited by joed; 02-09-07 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-09-07, 07:38 AM
Thumbs up

There is one about six feet away on the opposite wall. It is a small breakfast nook where these walls are located. It sounds as though the correct way to do this is to just remove the receptacle (sometimes the correct terminology escapes me), tie the lines together and cover plate it, as Chandler mentioned above.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-09-07, 07:49 AM
Just out of curiosity, why do you wish to remove this receptacle?

Old 02-09-07, 08:42 AM
Don't forget Joe's comment that removing this receptacle may create a code violation (even if you follow all the other advice here). In fact, it probably will.

Old 02-09-07, 12:20 PM
Thumbs up Response to racraft

Where this receptacle is located was covered with paneling ( receptacle was accessible ). After the paneling was removed I discovered that the receptacle was never put in properly, drywall hole is too big for just a cover, and the electrical box the receptacle is floating (i.e., not attached to the stud or anything). Since we never us it anyway, I was just going to eliminate it.

What I am probably going to do now is fix the wall, replace the electrical box, and put in a new receptacle.

Thanks for all your help.