Kitchen outlets replaced by plug mold

Old 02-09-07, 10:35 AM
Kitchen outlets replaced by plug mold

Can the outlets in the kitchen be replaced by a plug mold power bar mounted under the cabinets?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-07, 10:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't see any reason why not. (If I'm incorrect, I'm sure others will chime in).

The receptacles do need to be GFCI protected though, so there would either need to be a GFCI receptacle upstream of the plug mold or with the use of a GFCI breaker.

Also, kitchens require (2) 20A circuits along the countertop, so make sure you're not disconnecting one by using the plug mold.

(If this is an older house and doesn't meet the (2) 20A circuit requirement, some might argue this is an upgrade, and therefore the kitchen needs to be brought up to code - others may say it's just a minor change)

Hope this helps!

Old 02-09-07, 12:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the Plugmold product could only meet the requirement for kitchen countertop receptacles if:

1. It is a hardwired, not plug-in, model.
2. It has upstream or built-in GFCI protection.
3. It is rated for 20A
4. Is is connected to a 20A circuit which serves nothing other than kitchen, dining room, or pantry receptacles.

I don't remember all the Wiremold specs off the top of my head, but I think they are only rated for 15A, which means they could supplement the required countertop receptacles but could not replace them.

Old 02-11-07, 03:37 PM
? Circuit is 2 - 15A tied

Actually, the circuits in our kitchen are 2 - 15A breakers - tied together. The kitchen was wired in 1985, so I am assuming that this was code then?
There are two outlets on each tied breakers. One plug on each outlet is on the black and the other plug on each outlet is on the red wire.

Old 02-11-07, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
You may want to do a forum search for: "Shared neutral" lots of posts here have discussed this subject. assuming room in your box you may want to run two new twenty amp (#12) lines to the kitchen.

Old 02-11-07, 04:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
outlets in the kitchen be replaced #

This clearly states upgrade. IMO, No you can't do this.It must be brought current.
I googled and could'nt find '85 code on rec amps. But GfcI required with in 6' of a sink.

The plug mold is probably only rated 15Amp , And each rec. in it is considerd a
simplex 15A (only one) receptacle. You would need each to be rated @ 20Amp.

You can use a duplex 15A rec, because the code states "more than" one, a 15A duplex rec meets this requirement.
Also it must be GFCI protected.

Old 02-11-07, 04:53 PM
I have installed Plugmold before and it was 12 AWG between fifteen ampere receptacles. It is also available in a multiwire branch circuit configuration. In US practice there is no requirement for the receptacles to be split so I see no problem with either type of Wiremold in this application.

Last edited by hornetd; 02-12-07 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-11-07, 04:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thats a good veiw, makes sence. It still may be up to the AHJ (inspector).

Anyway, Make sure it is GFCI protected.

Old 02-11-07, 09:14 PM
swstar,

Are you in Canada? Canadian code, I believe, calls for your current kitchen wiring.

Old 02-12-07, 10:22 AM
Yes, Canadian

yes, I reside in Canada.

Old 02-12-07, 03:34 PM
swstar, please go to your profile and put in Canada as your location. If you are in Ontario, be sure to note that as well. Otherwise, you'll get the wrong advice here 9 times out of 10.