How do you bend Schedule 40 RMC?

Old 02-09-07, 08:12 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question How do you bend Schedule 40 RMC?

I've tried bending some small plastic tubing, using my small propane torch , but all I seem to do is "toast it." There's got to be a trade secret here.

Old 02-09-07, 08:15 PM
P
Question How do you bend Schedule 40 RMC?

I've tried bending small diameter plastic tubing using my small propane torch. All I seem to do is "toast it." What's the technique?

Old 02-09-07, 08:26 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yup, Practice,practice, practice.
the more you burn it, the more you compromise it, now for inspection.. the authority can make you replace it.

Or you can go to the store and buy a heating blanket for it. That works the best.

Whats your time worth? and how much do you save? 100' of pipe, trial for 40' run.

Old 02-09-07, 08:40 PM
First off this is a duplicate thread. A mod will delete the other.

I use a heat gun for small stuff. Unless I am doing a ton of it and then I use my hot box.
For a DIY though a gun is perfect IMO.

Blankets are VERY pricey and only cover a definite size range. Typically only two, maybe three, sizes. This is why I went with a box.

Old 02-09-07, 10:11 PM
R
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You said....."I've tried bending some small plastic tubing, using my small propane torch , but all I seem to do is "toast it." There's got to be a trade secret here."

There are several bends that are premade, have you checked to see if any of those will work?

Roger

Old 02-10-07, 04:37 AM
B
RMC?

If your bending RMC with a propane torch then you got some muscle .

Rigid Mettalic Conduit

Old 02-10-07, 04:38 AM
nap
How do you bend Schedule 40 RMC?

first, I use a bender to bend RMC

now I presume that was a typo since you were using a propane torch to bend your pipe and if you can bend RMC with a propane.....well, you get the idea.

Bending rNmc with a torch. Keep the torch moving and not too close to the pipe. I use long sweeping motions that lead off the pipe and the end of each sweep. Very similar in action as if you are spray painting.

Don't rush it. It will take several minutes to heat the pipe, and be sure you heat a long enough section to achieve a smooth and large enough radius.

As another poster noted, there are factory bends available you can simply glue in place if they fit your need.

edit: ah, ya beat me to it burke

Old 02-10-07, 05:15 AM
I guess Lee and I glanced right over that typo.
I assume due to the description this is a typo and he meant RNC.

Old 02-10-07, 08:28 AM
P
Heat ...

Yup ... it was a typo. The pipe is RNC. I also have a heat gun that I use for shrink tubing. I'll try that. I'm also going to Home Depot this morning, so I'll look into one of the heat "blankets" mentioned.

I know about the pre-formed bends. What I'm thinking more of is the slight bends needed where the tubing is flat against a wall, then enters a box. Looks better if it is slightly "Ess'ed," rather than just stuck in at an angle.

Old 02-10-07, 08:41 AM
L
your plan is good, Terms: offset (what your looking for),sweep (90deg),saddle (this strattles or goes around something),45Deg and kick (this can be used to change heights or depth after a 90deg bend)..

Old 02-10-07, 09:59 PM
R
They have factory made offsets for entering your electrical boxes at the big box. The boxes may be required to be connected to emt instead of rnc 40. Sch. 40 will not be acceptable in most localities if the conduit is subject to physical damage. If your just dropping down a wall into a box then convert to emt for that portion and you will be good for physical protection requirements.

Roger

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: