Need help on 120/240 Generator to house panel.

Old 02-10-07, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help on 120/240 Generator to house panel.

My Rv has a 5000 watt Generator that i use during a power outage.This Gen. was hardwired into the RV. 4 wires including ground.(L0,Grn,L2 and L1)
It came wired for 120vac as the rv is only 120vac. by me removing a jumper on the circuit breaker (per owners manual) I now can have both (120/240).
I have a 4-wire plug going into the 200 amp power panel Yes I have approved cutoff switch installed. My question is I don't want 240 to go into RV only to my
200 amp power panel. So how do I do this? Tie L2 directly to my 4-conductor cable going to the house panel and keep L0-L1 going to the RV?
Thanks
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-07, 05:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
On the generator, are there 2- receptacles? 1-120V and 1-240V? If so use the 120V for the RV and the 240V (twist lock) for the house.

This is assuming you have the rest under control.

Old 02-10-07, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee View Post
On the generator, are there 2- receptacles? 1-120V and 1-240V? If so use the 120V for the RV and the 240V (twist lock) for the house.

This is assuming you have the rest under control.
No outlets on Generator It was hardwire from the Gen to the RV.

Jeff

Old 02-10-07, 05:39 PM
Your on your own. this generator was and is not intended for the use you propose.

Sorry, Good luck. Call The RV people.

Old 02-12-07, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee View Post
Your on your own. this generator was and is not intended for the use you propose.

Sorry, Good luck. Call The RV people.
A Generator is a Generator just because it doesn’t have a plug and is hardwire doesn't mean jack ! The manual states it can be converted to 120/240.
so 240ac means 240ac I don't understand where your coming from unless the
terms L0-L1 blew you away?

Last edited by JeffLG1; 02-12-07 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-12-07, 07:57 PM
No, You did not blow me away. I Do not wish to get in a negative position

You have a generator designed for a purpose, and now you want to use it for another. I can't help you with this. So your on your own. Or at the advice of others.

Sorry if this upset you, not intended that way.

We're here to try to advise and keep safe, If thats not enough.. then so be it.

Good luck. I hope it works out.

A Generator is a Generator : Then whats the big deal!!?

Old 02-13-07, 01:53 AM
the reason why Lee prevent to help you due the safety reason there very clear and it did raise some red flag to me fast as well .

the best soluation is check with the RV dealer and possiblty the generator service centre both will tell you the required way to use the generator in safe manner

beive or not yes you will need a transfer switch on your RV as well so it will not destory your electrical system

if you have some doubt just ask any RV tech person whom deal with the generators they will give you a head up fast there

the reason why majorty of RV only need 120 volt and very i say very rare to use the 240 volt at all due the wiring connection at the generator it get tricky and i will not get into the details for correct way

dont get me wrong i will like to but for safety on this forum i just have to draw my line where i can do and what i can't do here

Merci , marc

Old 02-14-07, 12:36 PM
You still have choices.

JeffLG1
You can either rewire or replace the RVs distribution panel to one that is configured for 240/120 volt wiring. That is probably somewhat labor intensive but it is electrically straight forward. Your other choice is to have a four pole thirty ampere transfer switch installed to connect your generator to the RV or to a NEMA 14-30R outlet but never to both. Installing that transfer switch is a generator technicians work because the transfer switch will be changing the configuration of the generator windings when it is thrown. Your power production technician will have to install the transfer switch so as to transfer the windings to the proper configuration for each load.

If you reconfigure the RV's wiring great care will have to be taken to balance the load. Dual air conditioners will need to be on different generator windings. If they are controlled by the same thermostat then that will have to be addressed. Your fridge and microwave would have to be on different windings as well. Balancing the load on 120/240 volt generators can be tricky. The RV's shore line will have to be changed to four wire. Some RV parks charge a higher fee for such connections and some parks do not offer them. The more I write of this answer the better the four pole transfer switch sounds.

Last edited by hornetd; 02-14-07 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Correct brain phase.
Old 02-14-07, 09:48 PM
Thank you all.
I see now it's not as simple as I thought.
Just needed 240 for the well pump. Guess I'll leave it as is.

Thanks
Jeff

Old 12-16-07, 08:48 PM
Your well pump can probably be wired for 110, as long as the wire gauge is large enough for the increased amperage. Maybe not if it is a deep well pump.