wired back on same circuit?

Old 02-10-07, 04:01 PM
wired back on same circuit?

Help,

I think I may have wired a switch (which already had power) to the power of the same circuit from a different direction. A three wire, which I thought went directly to the fan/light might be wired into another outlet (which has power). If this did happen, why wouldn't the circuit breaker trip? Could I have really wiped something out, like a breaker? I can't get any power on the circuit at all now. Unfortunately, I do a little wiring, then have to leave it for weeks, so the memory isn't what it used to be. I didn't even remember that I had run that 3 wire. I love senility. It makes life so much FUN.

Really novice electrician

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-07, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Even from a different direction you would have power. Did you trip the breaker? Extend the ckt from the last device. Or call a pro.

Explain what you had and what you did. The first post is confusing.

Old 02-10-07, 06:38 PM
You would only trip the breaker if you connect two different circuits and if they were fed from opposite sides of the incoming 240 volts. However, you would create a fire hazard.

Old 02-11-07, 07:29 AM
Thumbs up wired back

Thankfully I was smart enough to disconnect it. Now just to find the problem. It was of course, wired when the walls didn't have drywall on them. Since I don't remember even running that 3 wire, it's going to be a lot of fun finding it. Thanks for the response. You guys are great.

Old 02-11-07, 07:49 AM
wired back on same circuit

I realize the first post was quite confusing. I was confused when it happened. Several month ago, I wired a switch to a bedroom light using power from the bathroom light (also feeds 2nd bedroom light). This circuit also feeds one outlet in the attic bedroom. I ran that outlet to the attic to get power for the contractor who was replacing our roof, meaning to take it out when they were done. Since senility is so much fun, I didn't remove that outlet. At some point during the remodeling fun, I placed a 3 wire to the bedroom light for a fan/lite combo, removing the original 2 wire to the lite. I didn't wire it into the switch at that time, just left it hanging near the switch, figuring I would remember and wire it into the switch when we drywalled that bedroom. The only thing I can come up with is that I have that 3 wire connected thru that outlet in the attic, rather than run directly to the bedroom lite. Stupid, huh?
One question tho, the 3 wire is now disconnected, what damage could this have done. The circuit breaker won't turn the bedroom/bath lights on. I did hear a faint pop when I wired this switch. What would have blown? The switch I was working on, the bath switch, bath light, 2nd bedroom switch or light, the attic outlet, or all of the above? Thankfully no fire or sparks. Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by lectriclee View Post
Even from a different direction you would have power. Did you trip the breaker? Extend the ckt from the last device. Or call a pro.

Explain what you had and what you did. The first post is confusing.