New Cable Outlet opposite side of wall

Old 02-11-07, 09:50 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Cable Outlet opposite side of wall

Hi guys, I want to move my computer to another room that does not have a TV Cable connection, I need a tv cable for the internet connection. On the opposite side of the wall where I want the outlet to be, there is an outlet in the other room. I figure this would be easy to create another connection.

I do not want to use a router or wireless connectivity as I do a lot of computer work and I am picky about my speeds.

I was wondering if this is a job I could do myself and how I would be able to place another cable outlet in the wall after I cut into the drywall (exactly opposite of the other cable outlet). What would I need and how would I go about doing it after I make the cut?

Would I be splitting up the cable connection? Would it be just like using an RF splitter?

Old 02-11-07, 09:56 AM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The box stores do sell old work box rings for what you want. Yes it is an easy job. You may use a regular splitter. would I recommend it? this would depend on the existing jack. If it is the only one on that line and not being used then fine,If it's branched off all ready, then you may consider a dedicated run from the main point.

Old 02-11-07, 10:08 AM
V
Nope, the other outlet is not even used. So I should be fine?

what is a box ring?

Old 02-11-07, 10:24 AM
L
it's a box with out a back, It has "ears" on it, so you cut the drywall and this fits right in and secures like an old work box. The employee should know what you need (box eliminator).

Old 02-11-07, 10:49 AM
R
Do not attempt to install directly opposite this existing cable connection, but rather install in the same stud bay, offset by a few inches.. If you do use full size boxes, they will not fit directly opposite each other with a 2x4 stud.

Old 02-11-07, 11:53 AM
V
Okay great, thanks for the info.

So I will need an RF splitter, a box elminator, and a new cable outlet?

How will i connect the cable to the rfsplitter, and when i offset the cut, do i want to be the side or top of the opposite outlet? If to the side then how will i know that i wont hit a stud?

Old 02-11-07, 11:58 AM
R
Before you start, remove the cover plate of the existing jack and look at it. You should have started by doing this.

The existing jack, and the new jack, are nothing more than a coupler. The end of the cable screws into the wall side of the connector. You will screw it into a splitter. You will then need either a short piece of cable or a connector to go to the new jack and to the existing jack.

It makes no difference whether you go above, below or to the correct side of the existing jack. With the cover plate removed, you should be able to determine where the stud is located. You can also use a stud finder.

Old 02-11-07, 01:48 PM
The very first splitter will be the I-net and TV split.. After that, you can split off the TV cable again, but not the I-net.. Use high quality splitters.. Not the cheap junk..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: