Can I run exposed romex in crawl space under house?

Old 02-11-07, 06:42 PM
Can I run exposed romex in crawl space under house?

I have romex running throughout my attic, and I'd say it's more problematic there since it can be trod upon. But I have three islands I'll be installing in my kitchen remodel, and it would be simpler and cheaper to run romex. Alternately I know I can run BMX, but that means I'd also have to install metal boxes, so I'd like to know. The reason I ask is because before the demo, there was flex routed to an outlet in an island, so this leads me to think it may be required by code.

Last edited by mical_k; 02-11-07 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Adding a little clarity / background.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-07, 07:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can run the nm cable there, so long as it is not exposed to the weather.
If it rises in the cabinets It must be protected,Flex is ok for this.

Old 02-12-07, 12:51 PM
You still have to protect it!

You can run the NM through the crawl space as long as you run it on the side of the framing, through bored holes, or on running boards. What the US National Electric Code does not permit is to run it across the bottom of the framing unless it is quite large or protected.

Old 02-12-07, 02:05 PM
Be carful running unarmoured cable. Seems like rodents are attracted to the stuff and love to chew on it. My dad had a problem with squirrels in a barn.

Old 02-12-07, 06:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by hornetd View Post
You can run the NM through the crawl space as long as you run it on the side of the framing, through bored holes, or on running boards. What the US National Electric Code does not permit is to run it across the bottom of the framing unless it is quite large or protected.

I read this to be in habital spaces, so as not to use the cables as clothes lines and the like. Running boards are always the best option.

Old 02-12-07, 07:26 PM
I'll save myself some work (and potential inspection hassles) and just run BX anywhere I have to go below the floors. Especially since I'll have to run it up into cabinets anyway. Thanks.

Old 02-13-07, 12:13 AM
BX is no cure all!

BX must be run the same as NM. You must run it through bored holes, along the sides of the framing, or on running boards. You may not run it across the bottom of the framing at an angle to the framing without running boards. Only rigid and intermediate conduit or Electro Metallic Tubing can be run unprotected.

Old 02-13-07, 03:54 AM
You need to check and see what the local rules allow. The requirement for boring holes in the floor joists or using running boards is for unfinished basements. It is common practice to fasten to the bottom of floor joists in crawl spaces in many areas.

Old 02-13-07, 08:24 AM
As a matter of fact, the original island had electrical run to it through the crawl space using flex conduit and attached to the bottom of the floor joists.

Old 04-01-07, 10:00 PM
On a side note, per the recommendation of several on this forum, I just picked up a copy of the book "Wiring Simplified". Great recommendation, thanks!

Anyway, is there a consensus on whether a crawl space is considered "exposed" for the purposes of whether or not guard strips need to be provided next to NM cable run perpendicular to joists? I've got a 50/50 mix in my crawl space, with the older wiring stapled to the sides of the joists, and the newer wiring stapled perpendicular without any guard strips.

Old 04-02-07, 10:19 AM
When running cables at angles to joists:

Section 334.15(C) requires type NM be run through bored holes or along running boards in unfinished basements. Finished basements, crawl spaces or other areas do not have this requirement.

Section 320.15 provides for installing type AC cable directly to the under side of the joists without specifying areas.