Tricky wiring problem

Old 02-11-07, 11:16 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tricky wiring problem

I am stuck! We had an old clock outlet wired to a ceiling light. Outlet was removed and now I am putting in a new light.

I wired as shown here but put L1 to the whites, Since there is no outlet there now why doesn't this work???

Help appreciated.

http://home.comcast.net/~dnashort/box.jpg

Old 02-11-07, 11:55 PM
F
oh man ::

after i look at your photo what you did.

first simple rule was mark every wire before you remove the box anyway i dont know if you are useing the same location if so what you have to do follow the same way what the old wire you cut off and resplice the excat way what it was in the box

make a note that one wire is switch loop so head up when you make the connection.

do you know where that switch goes ??

i look at the photo and the wire on left is line and center cable [ wire ] look like switch loop and the wire on right look like ran to the lumiaire [ light fixure]

so post it back here how you got it

make sure you have power off before you mess it around more

Merci , marc

Old 02-12-07, 12:02 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Looking at the picture the left hand cloth wrapped cable entering the top of the box is your incoming power. The right hand cable at the top is your switch loop for the old light.
But I am not certain where your putting the new light. Are you installing it at the old clock location or are you installing the new light to replace the old one or someplace else entirely or are you going to have two switched lights the old one and the new one.

Roger

Old 02-12-07, 12:04 AM
P
Thanks guys.

It is in the eact same location. The only thing being removed totally is the old outlet.

Old 02-12-07, 12:07 AM
P
By outlet I mean a plug for a clock. That has been spackled over. I want to put the new canister light in the ceiling but am unsure how to wire it.

Old 02-12-07, 12:12 AM
R
L1 isnt needed at all nor is the white wire that went to the clock outlet. Cap these off. Connect black N1 to white N2. Connect black L2 to the black of your light connect the white of N1 to the white of your light.

Roger

Old 02-12-07, 12:18 AM
R
I cant tell but it appears that you have a mixture of cables one with the bare ground and one without. It appears that the old cloth wrapped cable does not have the ground wire. Can you verify if you have a ground wire in the old cable?

Old 02-12-07, 12:54 AM
P
Thanks very much. Light works great!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: