water heater circuit breaker problems

Old 02-12-07, 03:08 PM
Question water heater circuit breaker problems

I am having problems with my hot water heater causing the circuit breaker to trip.I replaced the circuit breaker from 25 amp to 30 amps but it keeps tripping It seems like it all started after replacing the bottom heating element in the hot water heater.What could be causing it to trip and how can we find it?

The old element we took into the hardware store and check the book and asked someone who worked with water heaters about the size.and installed it correctly.

What other problems could the water heater be having causing it to trip???

Last edited by armymedicia; 02-13-07 at 01:36 PM. Reason: adding more info and deleteing info
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-07, 03:12 PM
An electric dryer and an electric water heater should not be on the same circuit. In fact, those devices each require a separate circuit. Raising the size of the circuit breaker because of a trip was a stupid thing to do. I suggest that you go back to the other circuit breaker, unless you want a fire, which is one of the problems your action can cause.

You either replaced the element incorrectly (wrong size, wrong type), or you replaced it incorrectly, or you have some other problem with your water heater.

Old 02-12-07, 03:14 PM
Wink

You cant have the dryer on the same breaker as the water
heater. It needs its own 30 amp breaker. Do that then see what happens or amp out the water heater.

Old 02-12-07, 04:15 PM
Changing a 25-amp breaker to a 30-amp breaker, without knowing whether the wiring can handle the extra current, can create a fire hazard.

You need a new circuit so that your dryer and water heater can be on separate circuits. While the electrician is out to do that, have him examine the wiring on the existing circuit to see if it is suitable for a 30-amp breaker.

Old 02-12-07, 07:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A Bit of advice!

Originally Posted by racraft View Post
An electric dryer and an electric water heater should not be on the same circuit. In fact, those devices each require a separate circuit. Raising the size of the circuit breaker because of a trip was a stupid thing to do. I suggest that you go back to the other circuit breaker, unless you want a fire, which is one of the problems your action can cause.

You either replaced the element incorrectly (wrong size, wrong type), or you replaced it incorrectly, or you have some other problem with your water heater.

John Nelson :Changing a 25-amp breaker to a 30-amp breaker, without knowing whether the wiring can handle the extra current, can create a fire hazard.

These threads are definately worth repeating!!!!

I would/could not be so kind... For such a FOOLISH reaction/correction to such a serious problem.

Seperate these ckts.. then figure out the problem and correct it.

We all have help and advice here, and sometimes it "aint" what you want to hear, Most times... It's pretty accurate and dead on.
Your choice to listen or not.

Old 02-13-07, 01:47 AM
as i will speak for other i do agree with them about water heater and dryer it must be on separted circuits

other possiblty that you may have the wire[s] miswired in the water heater or something can short it out

do this water heater trip the breaker fast or it will trip later time ??

majorty of the water heater elements work this sqeuece

the top one will come on first if top half is cold and thermosat call the heat for element to kick on until it get warm then it will switch over to lower element
the lower element will do the same as upper half but only for bottom half and this will be used most of the time

is the heater tank is dry ??
that mean no water leak or anything can trip the heating element device there

if more question ask us

if not sure please do get the electrician to come in and they will verify it and maybe correct the sisuation you have there

Merci , marc