meter loop question

Old 02-13-07, 07:35 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
meter loop question

I currently have a 100 amp meter loop. I am wanting to go to a 200 amp meter loop. Can I just replace the 100 amp panel with a 200 amp panel. I want to keep the pole in the same place so all of my conduit and wire does not have to be moved.
Old 02-13-07, 07:46 PM
Speedy Petey's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,454
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First, what is a "meter loop"?

Second, NO, you cannot simply replace the panel with a 200. You need to upgrade all the service equipment to 200 amps, not just the panel.

I am confused by your post though. Why would the location have to be moved? You would have to replace everything but can't you keep it in the same location?
Old 02-14-07, 08:55 AM
jn is offline
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 226
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
" I want to keep the pole in the same place so all of my conduit and wire does not have to be moved"

The existing conduit and wire that you are wanting to keep would have to be sufficient for the 200 AMP upgrade. (It probably is not and would likely have to be upsized and replaced).
Typically everything from the transformer to the 100AMP panel would be changed out. That means new wire from the transformer to where it splices at the top of the weatherhead (assuming it is overhead). New weather head and conduit and wire down to the meter. New, larger 200 AMP meter head (panel housing the meter). New larger wire and conduit out of the meter to a new 200 amp panel. Some of this may be the power companies responsibility, some or all may be your responsibility. It depends where you live.

DON'T just put in a 200 AMP panel - it wil lilkely overload the exising supply lines.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: