double up on breaker?

Old 02-15-07, 04:31 PM
Question double up on breaker?

I currently have a 100a 20 space pannel that is full and I want to add a dedicated 20a breaker for my A/V equipment. Would it be ok to pair up a pair of seldom used 15a ckts on one breaker to free up a space?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-07, 04:34 PM
Yes, probably, with a few caveats. Don't directly attach two wires to one breaker unless it is designed for that (some are, some aren't). And make darn sure you know exactly what's on these two circuits and that they can really be safely combined.

Depending on the panel, you may be able to use tandem (aka twin, aka skinny) breakers to get more circuits. Tell us the make and model of the panel.

A small subpanel right next to your main panel is pretty inexpensive. That is another, and better, way to get more room.

Old 02-15-07, 04:37 PM
If your going to do this make sure both circuits your combining are in fact 15 amps or #14 gauge wire, splice them together with another wire long enough to reach the breaker using an adequate wire nut (probably a red one), install the third wire only to a 15 amp breaker

Old 02-15-07, 04:43 PM
I have an older (Pushmatic Load Center) . It sounds like I cant run 2 wires directly to the breaker, but I can nut the 2 wires together with another wire so there is only one wire to the breaker?

Old 02-15-07, 06:36 PM
Yes.......

Old 02-16-07, 06:21 AM
THANK YOU! to the moderators and all others for direct simple answers to such a difficult topic being conducted in type with no pics or knowledge of the capability of the participent, even if its a simple don't do it.

Old 02-24-07, 10:43 AM
WOW, I live in Canada and the electrical code would be broken four times in that circumstance.1- never more than 1 wire one a breaker.2-never more than a 15 amp breaker on a residential branch circuit supplying lights and receptacles.3-never allowed wire splices in an electrical panel.4-if you combine two wires in the panel there will definetly be more than the maximum of 12 items(lights and receptacles) on that circuit.

Old 02-24-07, 11:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Certified,

1) Even if the breaker can legally accept two conductors? Such as newer QO or some CH series?

2) ??? How can one circuit have more than one breaker?

3) No splices in a panel? Period? This is a silly rule if it does in fact exist.

4)The Canadian "12 items" rule is not a bad idea IMO. Usually.

Old 02-24-07, 11:28 AM
1. makes no sense if the breaker is designed for two wires.

2. Here in the US it is allowed for general purpose branch circuits to be 15 or 20 amps. I think the minimum should increase to 20. but others may not agree.

3. No exceptions? Bad rule.

4. Simply combining two circuits will not necessarily exceed the 12 items rule. I can thank of many circuits in my panel I can legally combine that will not exceed 12 items on the circuit.