Grounding question

Old 02-16-07, 07:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Grounding question

Good Evening Gentlemen!

You were so helpful with my 2/11 post regarding the Ceiling Fixture/ground wire dilema. I have another question to run by you.

Due to illness, I didn't go back over to the house today. I looked at the closet ceiling fixture in the closet on the other side of this room, which had the same exact fixture as the one I questioned before. In this closet I found:

2 lightbulb wired Ceiling fixture.... marked "SUN-LITE"

(again) NO grounding wire or grounding screw.

THIS ceiling box is metal.... (the box in the other closet was plastic)

THIS wiring has the ground wire from the 12/2 wrapping around the mounting screw which goes from the inside of the ceiling fixture up into the ceiling box.
(You know when you take off the globe, and you have to slightly twist the entire fixture so the SCREW head which is visible inside the fixture moves slightly to the larger keyhole side of the screw hole? This is the screw I'm speaking of. A long, thin, mounting screw. Sorry, not too good on explanations tonight! TGIF)

My questions:

1) Is it illegal to have the fixture grounded in this way? Seems like an obvious problem to me, but...

2) Do any of you have any knowledge of SUN-LITE fixtures? This is two now that I checked & do not have any built in grounding capability.

My friend has been sick, but did call the builder and he blew her off, said she should call the electrical contractor he used when he built the home 5 years ago.

Thank you ever so kindly!!!!!

Regina

Old 02-16-07, 09:33 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
1. No.
2. No.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: