Moving a recepticle

Old 02-16-07, 06:03 PM
Moving a recepticle

I am installing a mount for a plasma tv and i was forced to relocate the existing outlet approx 6 inches higher. I ran new romex from the existing box out to new recepticle. No problem there. the old box contains live wire conecting to the new box. The problem is I cannot place a cover over the old box as it will be partially covered by wall mount. I understand drywall is out of the question. However is there some type of flush plate that will be recessed to be level with the drywall? Hope I explained this well enough. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-07, 06:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this a single gang box (1 device)? Is the box about 1/8" be hind the drywall? If so, Chip out the dry wall, and place the cover on the box.
This will recess the cover to the box, but not bury the box.

Or relocate the mount an inch or two. Do not plaster over the wall plate.

Old 02-16-07, 06:49 PM
it is a single gang box. I was considering chipping around. i did find a blank steel faceplate, but it is not flush. your idea to chip around may be my best bet, although it may be somewhat visible, because the mount is an arm mount. thanks

Old 02-16-07, 07:24 PM
I was thinking of a flat octagon galvanized cover for a duplex receptacle, but I don't know if something similar is made for a 1-gang. I also thought of a flat mud ring such as I've gotten for 4-11/16" boxes, but the screws wouldn't line up right on those either, that's for sure.

I wonder if a flat handybox cover would be large enough to cover the opening. These are smaller than standard covers. Since it's just steel you may be able to roll or hammer the edges flat, however I suppose that would void its compliance:

http://www.electrical-supply.net/product.asp_Q_parentID_E_415_A_subCatID_E_493_A_prodID_E_1921

Old 02-16-07, 08:11 PM
I'm concerned about "partially covered by wall mount." Is it still "accessible" as defined by electrical code?

Old 02-16-07, 10:39 PM
It is definately still accessible. it is a swing arm type mount. the bracket on the wall has 3 large holes. the old box almost falls entirely into one of these holes. so much so that i might have been able to use the old box, except i could not place a cover over the outlet as the mount would not lie flush against the wall. Using that outlet the plug for the tv would have somewhat limited the motion of the arm as well, as the arm is able to slide along the track, and would have limited it's motion.

Old 02-16-07, 10:44 PM
RE: I wonder if a flat handybox cover would be large enough to cover the opening. These are smaller than standard covers. Since it's just steel you may be able to roll or hammer the edges flat, however I suppose that would void its compliance:

I believe this is what I purchased at Home Depot. I noticed it was smaller than a standard cover, but turned oput to still be to large to lay flush. i had thought of hammering this flat, or chipping some of the drywall as previously suggested. Just hoped there might have been a better solution or something available for blocking an unused gang box. thanks.

Old 02-17-07, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
Possibly not practical but iis it a single gang box mounted vertically as most are? If so would a horizontally mounted box give you clearance? You might be able to remove the existing box, replace with an old work box horizontally mounted, and patch the Sheetrock. Depending on where the existing wires run from once the existing box is out you may also see a way to lower it.