three way switch

Old 02-16-07, 05:09 PM
three way switch

i replaced all my switches with more modern switches and wallplates. I seemed to have missed something during the reconnect. I have a threeway switch which is in the middle of a three switch receptcle. they all work fine. The problem is the other end of the threeway swith is a single recepticle and must be on for the light to operate. In other words as long as the single pole switch is on, the threeway switch at the other end works. If the single switch is off, nothing. Is there a simple solution? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-07, 05:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Please, a better description of your switching. single pole--3-way-- did these at one time operate the same light? or were they operating different fixtures?

Old 02-16-07, 05:51 PM
yeah, sorry about that. at the other end is a single gang box. these switches have always controlled the same light.

Old 02-16-07, 06:04 PM
You need to better describe your setup.

Tell us about switches and receptacles. The terms you are using (three switch receptacle, single receptacle) are confusing and do not make sense.

However, that being said, if you replaced like for like (as in three way switch for three ways switch, and receptacle for receptacle) then everything should work. Consult the diagrams you made or pictures you took before you disconnected anything and fix your problem.

Suggestion for the future, and for anyone else thinking of doing this, in addition to taking pictures or making decent drawings of the existing wiring, replace one device at a time, and test the entire circuit after replacing each device.

Old 02-16-07, 08:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
To address the first post. You seem to have landed the wires wrong (but you knew that).

The switch that does not work, disconnect the power, and rearange the connections. It appears you have just mixed up the travelers with the point.
Open both, and let us know what you have for wires in each one. DO NOT disconnect the wires now.

Do this with the power off.

Old 02-16-07, 09:22 PM
You misidentified the "common" terminal. The most common mistake is to move wires from the old switch to the new one by position, i.e., moving the wire on the top left screw of the old receptacle to the top left screw on the new receptacle. The problem is that this is an unreliable algorithm. Instead, you need to move the wires by screw color rather than screw position. If you still have the old switch, this should be pretty simple to figure out. If you don't, you can figure it out by trial and error (although it may take a number of trials).