Timer for Bathroom Fan?

Old 02-16-07, 07:27 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Timer for Bathroom Fan?

I was hoping I could get some options on and idea I am considering. We will be replacing a bathroom exhaust fan with a new (stronger cfm) one in the next few weeks. Currently the one that is installed is operated by a simple light switch. I have heard suggestions that installing a digital timer would be a good idea. This would allow the fan to run for a defined period following the shower to exhaust out more of the humid and moisture air.

Is it really a good idea to have a digital timer in a moist area like this? The manufacturer (TORK) information does state it can be used in bathrooms.

Would an electromechanical timer be a better idea or would it be best to stay with the simple light switch that's currently there?

I have no made any decisions yet but would be very interested in any comments or suggestions people have.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Old 02-16-07, 07:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id say its up to you how you want to go. But go one of the ones you had here
electromechanical timer be a better idea or would it be best to stay with the simple light switch

Old 02-16-07, 09:26 PM
J
Make sure that whatever you get, it is rated to control a motor. Don't get one designed to control lighting.

I'd vote for the simple "turn past" mechanical timer. Most of the electronic timers need a neutral and/or a battery. The mechanical timers are much simpler.

Old 02-16-07, 09:31 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I do not know the manufacturer but a switch that is just what you are looking for is on the market. I didn't install it but another guy from our company. It is in a "Talbot's" womens clothing store.

It is 1 switch with a with a delay off timer built into it. It allows one switch to operate the lights and the fan but when the light is turned off, the fan continues to run for a predesignated time.

Old 02-16-07, 10:04 PM
My electrician installed a Leviton digital timer. Its really nice and works great in bathrooms. It has 4 presets, you can get

5 min, 10 min, 20 min, 30 min

or

10 min, 20 min, 30 min, 60 min

They do need a neutral connected to it to work. They are beautiful and very elegant.

Old 02-16-07, 10:06 PM
As a follow up, I use one of those Leviton timers in one bathroom to control a light and a fan. It is a 20AMP timer so it can do some serious stuff according to the box.

Old 02-16-07, 10:15 PM
Here is what it looks like:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?a=b&item=8809

Here is a site to get some info on it:

http://www.smarthome.com/4254w.html

I do not endorse smart home, never bought from them, just listed their site as they provide complete information on the product.

Old 02-17-07, 06:15 AM
A
This one was recommended to me by an energy auditor. I like the idea that you set the time once, under the wall plate, and it is then just a simple wall switch. I've already found that a mechanical timer and multiple timer buttons are viewed quite dimly by certain others in my home:

http://www.energyfederation.org/consumer/default.php/cPath/39_766_134

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: