Some Questions

Old 02-18-07, 12:57 PM
Some Questions

Hey how are ya'll doin. I'm pretty new at this, but I am finishing parts of my basement, and need to add about 5-6 new outlets. My question is, will I have to run a new wire to the circuit box, or can I split these off of the 1 outlet that is down there? 2 will be for a bedroom, and the other 3-4 in the bigger room. I plan on having an entertainment center/tv down there FYI for power needs. Any info would be great, thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-07, 01:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You need to see what is on the existing ckt. Then determine.
Entertainment ctr,depending on what you will have connected here, a new ckt just for it would be best.
The other rec. in the room, can go on the existing ckt.
The bedroom go with a new ckt on an AFCI breaker (code).

Old 02-18-07, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Ok there 4 ceiling lights on the 1 line, and basically for the entertainment center it will be a tv/stereo/dvd/xbox. Then just a few lamps or misc items on the other ones.
So, to run a line to a new circuit, I will have to get the wire from the garage to the basement, not an easy task, any tips or sites you could point me to?

Old 02-18-07, 01:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is the lay out of your home? The relationship of the garage to the basement? location of the Elec panel, etc.. Rooms above the garage, any closets etc.. Try to map out a plan, where the wire is protected but you can access.
If you need the 1 ckt for the bedroom 2 or 3 more is no harder.

Old 02-18-07, 01:52 PM
|-----x-------------------------------|
| | L | |
| __ __| | |
| G || |r |
| C|| | ____r_____|
------------- |R |
| | |
| | |
| | r|
| | |
| |
|________________________r_______|

Alright sorry this isn't the best map I will try my best to explain
X is where the breaker box is in the Garage (G). To the right of my garage, is the Laundry Room(L) with a pergo floor I was thinking about maybe taking up and routing thru there? Or, C is my closest, maybe somehow thru that? The Laundry room and closet are top floor, the rest of the layout, where the "r"'s are, is where I would like the other outlets downstairs. The "R" is where the exisiting outlet is downstairs.

Old 02-18-07, 01:55 PM
Argh well that didn't work .. Basicially my house is a rectangle, Breaker box being in the NW corner, trying to route the electric downstairs to the NE corner to the SE corner. Bedroom bieng in NE, living room in SE. My garage connects to a laundry room and a closet.

Old 02-18-07, 02:07 PM
Spaces not show up well in posts. It's because of the formatting.

Be creative. There is a way to route new wires.

One other question. You do have the required two means of egress from the new bedroom, correct. In your case you need one way outside that is through a door or a large enough window; plus the traditional way upstairs and out the front door.

Old 02-18-07, 02:11 PM
Yes sir, I do have both of those means of exit. I just didn't draw it in my newbish cartography.