hotplate

Old 02-18-07, 05:02 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool hotplate

I'm trying to figure out how to build a safely homemade hotplate,? Does anyone have any ideas-

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-07, 05:03 PM
B
..uh ... buy one?

Anything you make is going to be unsafe.

Old 02-18-07, 05:11 PM
J
Is this some kind of science fair project? Or other kind of project or experiment?

Anything you build is going to cost you three times as much and be ten times less safe than what you could buy already made.

If you really want to build one anyway, I suggest you start by buying one and dismantling it to see how it is made.

Old 04-10-09, 12:24 PM
D
I'm looking for answers and I find this... discouraging and antagonistic points of view...

ok, so be it... what are the elements that would make this project unsafe? what about recycling parts... I'm thinking about connecting an electric burner from an oven to a power adapter from an electric griddle... I'm thinkin it would work.

- I'm too cheap to spend $40 for a new griddle/hot plate
- I want this to cook outside n save money on air-conditioning

Old 04-10-09, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 151 Posts
The responses you get are for your (and anybody else you may kill) safety. Here are somethings that make it unsafe:

What would you use to enclose the burner to keep it from contact and keep it from heating the enclosure to the point of burning other things?

The enclosure will need to be grounded if metal or double insulated if a different material.

Stove burners are most likely 240 volt. Your hook up of your griddle will only supply 120 volts.

How to hook up the griddle adapter to the stove coil safely to make good contact.

Really, if you want one look online, Ebay, or your local Craigslist for a used one. Heck, I just found this one with one search on Google: Tool-Sale.com ~ Neiko #62037 Electric Cooking Hot Plate
$12.34 cheap enough?

Florida's Craigslist: craigslist: florida classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

$19.17 to your door: Proctor-Silex Electric Stove Fifth Burner Hot Plate NEW - eBay (item 250401146082 end time Apr-13-09 15:50:25 PDT)

Old 04-10-09, 01:17 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
From a practical point of view first you need a housing and base for your unit. This is not an off the shelf item. It is something that each manufacturer has custom made for their product. Next you need a heat resistant top formed of heat resistant unglazed ceramic. Again this a custom made item that can't be purchased.

You are going to need coiled nichrome wire of a suitable gage and length for the heat you wish to generate and the amperage you wish to draw. Actual length is inter dependent on the length and gauge of the nichrome wire.

Then will need one or more thermal fusees incorporated into your wiring for safety. Again this must be custom designed to the heating factors of your design. All internal wiring must be class H or better. This wire is usually only sold commercially in large rolls.

Do you want to control it with a thermostat. Really a necessity if you have high heat. Again this is not an over the counter item.

Or go to a thrift store and buy one for $15. Bottom line though unless your running a commercial kitchen this is going to make no noticeable saving on AC. Of course I use window ACs and do not air condition the kitchen so that would be a way to save money.

Old 04-10-09, 03:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by dudeofx View Post
I'm looking for answers and I find this... discouraging and antagonistic points of view...

ok, so be it... what are the elements that would make this project unsafe? what about recycling parts... I'm thinking about connecting an electric burner from an oven to a power adapter from an electric griddle... I'm thinkin it would work.

- I'm too cheap to spend $40 for a new griddle/hot plate
- I want this to cook outside n save money on air-conditioning
People seem to want to reinvent the wheel on projects like this. Everyone here is concerned about safety. On project like this it really doesn't make sense to cobble together an assortment of parts. By the time you found everything you needed and added in your labor it would be cheaper just to buy one, and much safer too.