Hopefully simple wirering question, need help!

Old 02-19-07, 05:01 AM
Hopefully simple wirering question, need help!

Hey guys, Im re-doing the bathroom and want to add an oulet next to a switch that is already in a two gang box. I already have the feed coming into the box and a switch.. the switch controls the light.. how do i come off the switch to have the outlet powered? or actually more like, come off the out let so its powered all the time? can some one post a drawing or pic? I used to have a book i used allot while re building my house but i believe the Evil Queen ( my wife) threw it away!! I need to get this done. the switch is a GFCI if that helps.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-07, 05:13 AM
Assuming you are in the US...

First, this circuit must be dedicated to the bathroom only. It may serve nothing else but the bathroom. Second, the circuit must be a 20 amp circuit.

Take out the GFCI switch. Use a plain toggle switch and a GFCI receptacle.

I'm not sure what the confusion is.

Connect the incoming power to the LINE side of the GFCI receptacle. The black wire gets connected to the brass terminal and the white wires gets connected to the silver terminal.

Connect the white wire for the light and a black pigtail to either the LOAD side of the GFCI if you want the light GFCI protected (I don't recommend this unless there is a compelling reason for it); or to the LINE side of the GFCI (with the power wires, pigtailed if necessary). Again, black to brass terminal, white to silver terminal.

Connect the other end of the pigtail to one terminal of the switch and connect the black wire for the light to the other switch terminal.

Connect all ground wires together and properly gropund any metal boxes and both the switch and receptacle.

Old 02-19-07, 05:22 AM
re:

Thanks! I didnt realize i typed GFCI switch, its not, the outlet is though. Ok, i will give this a shot when i get home... thank you very much!

Old 02-21-07, 01:49 PM
Still havent tried this yet, i have to wait for the weekend when im home while the sus still out..lol go to work in the dark, get home in the dark..its unfair i tells ya!!