Receptacle in Block wall

Old 02-19-07, 07:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Receptacle in Block wall

Hello all,

I'm turning a bedroom into a bathroom. I gutted the bedroom which had plaster walls on top of 1x3 furring strips on top of a cinder block. The entire house is 6" block. I want to add two receptacles in the block. I have the holes in the block ready for the receptacle boxes. My questuion is, is it a code violation to leave the 12/2 between the block wall and ( what will be ) drywall? or should I protect it somehow? I thoought about routing the 12/2 in 3/4" pipe to protect it. Any thoughts? What about NM-B??

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-07, 09:00 AM
I can't answer your question, but if I were doing this I'd frame out some 2x4 walls instead of using furring strips. Then your problem goes away and you'll have room for some insulation.

Old 02-19-07, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback. The bathroom is already framed up so I'm not going to reframe it. . Lack of insulation is the reason I took the plaster down. I'm going to cut 3/4" pieces of poly-iso foam in between the furring strips.

Anyone else on my original question?

Old 02-19-07, 09:42 AM
Cables run behind furring strips and parallel to them must be separated by at least 1.25" from the furring strip. Furthermore, they must be secured to something (probably directly to the block). The idea is that somebody will be driving nails trying to hit the furring strip, and the 1.25" separation covers near misses.

Old 02-19-07, 05:06 PM
One and a quater inches from what?

I will not claim that it is required by the letter of the code but I've always guarded any cable that is closer then 1&1/4 inches to the surface of the wall. I think that your idea to use EMT as a guard is a great idea. Be advised that four inch square boxes can be purchased in an inch and a quarter depth. You will have to call around to find them and they may be a special order depending on how much masonry construction is used in your area. A four inch square box together with the appropriate plaster or tile ring makes a good installation with no need to cut out the block for a deeper box.

Old 02-21-07, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Just an FYI that I solved the issue. I had some old conduit lying around that had a radius on the end. For each 22 cu in box I hammered a small hole right below the box ( about 4 in below) where the curved end of the conduit would enter and then I simply fed the 12/2 through the conduit and inserted the curved end of the conduit into the hole. SInce the masonry blcoks are hollow I then fed it up through the the masonry into the back of ( what will be) the "old-work) box. I also secured the conduit with 1/2" EMT straps.

Old 02-21-07, 05:20 PM
Moral support.

You did ream the edges of the conduit?
You did use the correct fittings where the wire entered the pipe?
How about where the pipe entered the boxes?
You will ground the metal boxes? The devices?
This is correct,right?