Need both 220v and 110v outlets in the same location

Old 02-19-07, 11:36 PM
Question Need both 220v and 110v outlets in the same location

I just bought a new Frigidaire washer and dryer set. They are stacked in a closet and replace the old Maytag washer and dryer, which was a single unit that used a 220v plug in the closet.

The new dryer uses 220v, while the washer uses a standard 110v plug. The problem is that there are no other outlets in the closet besides the one 220v outlet. I currently have the washer hooked up to an outlet in the dining room via an extension cord.

As asthetically pleasing as this is, I would like to connect the washer within the closet like the dryer is. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Can I use some kind of convertor or dual voltage outlet, or do I have to have an electrician install a new outlet for me?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-07, 03:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You need a new line run for the washer.
DO NOT tap off the dryer circuit to feed the washer. This violates code in several ways.

Old 02-20-07, 05:09 AM
While having the new 120 volt circuit run, have the electrician (if necessary) bring the existing circuit up to code (ie, if it is only three wire, have him or her make it four wire).

Old 02-20-07, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the help. I know 4-wire circuits are now standard, but I bought the dryer with a 3-wire cord since that was what I had in the wall. Hopefully it will be OK. I had thought something like this dual voltage outlet might be a possibility, but I guess that is not the case:

http://www.europlugs.com/Macau_110and220.htm

I have done basic electrical wiring myself, but I have not installed a wall outlet in a new location before. Any ideas on what I can expect an electrician to charge for this?

Last edited by matt633; 02-20-07 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 02-20-07, 08:48 AM
The fee for the electrician will depend on how long it will take, which will depend on the length of the run and how difficult it is to route the cable.

Regardless of how you purchased the dryer (three wire cord), if you are gong to do this work, I strongly suggest that you have a four wire circuit run for the dryer. There may even be one there now. A four wire circuit is safer than a three wire circuit, and the labor will not be much more if the electrician does this upgrade in the same trip.