Will Old Work ceiling box support 28 lb light?

Old 02-20-07, 09:09 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will Old Work ceiling box support 28 lb light?

I'm replacing a flourescent light that was above the island in my kitchen. Since the flourescent light didn't use a junction box, I'm now left with just the wires dangling from my ceiling. My goal was to replace that light with an island pendant light, which weighs about 28 lbs. My question is, can I use an old work ceiling box to support this new light?

Old 02-20-07, 09:16 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No. Go to the store and buy a fan rated box on bar. These are designed for that kind of weight. They are easy to install as old work, and made for this weight. Many kinds to choose from.

Old 02-20-07, 10:42 PM
F
No,

most old work box only can hold up to 6 pounds max

as what Lee say best get old work fan box it will hold alot more weight much better this way and more safer as well

many big box store will stock this item

it called fan brace kit [ there may have other name as well ]

and follow the insturction very carefully it kinda not hard kinda sraght foward job there

Merci , Marc

unless you find the stud right below of it then you can used the fan rated pancake box other wise use the fan rated box with brace

Last edited by french277V; 02-20-07 at 10:43 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 02-23-07, 08:41 PM
B
New problem - air duct in the way

Marc and Lee,
Thanks for the help. I was able to find the old work fan brace kit at Home Depot. But now it seems I have a bigger problem! I cut the hole in my ceiling, directly centered over my kitchen island... I looked into my ceiling through the hole I cut and found an air duct right next to the hole. This duct is blocking my path to the joist that I'd be connecting one end of the brace to, and it's not possible to move it out of the way. What kind of options do I have now? (short of putting the flourescent light back). Any help is much appreciated.

Old 02-23-07, 08:54 PM
B
...also, I weighed the light and it only weighs about 10 lbs. 28 lbs is what the box said, but the length of the light is adjustable - I'm making it pretty short which means I'm not using many of the extension pieces. This explains the difference in weight.

One more thing - directly to the other side of the hole (opposite side from the air duct) is a joist. It is about 1 inch from the hole. Not sure if this will give me any other options...

Old 02-24-07, 01:04 AM
a picture would help.

Old 02-24-07, 05:26 AM
J
It sounds like the OP has some drywall to patch.

You will need a metal new work box with mounting brackets. You will need to cut out enough drywall to screw the box to the joist that you found. Then hang the light from the box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: