Recptacle box on interior wall

Old 02-21-07, 11:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Recptacle box on interior wall

What's the best way to protect the back of a receptacle box when they are on interior walls? The NM cable is practically against ( what will be) drywall when it enters the box. I kinow there the 1-1/4" rule applies to NM cable going through drilled holes in studs, but is there a code for this?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-07, 01:37 PM
If this work box was added after sheetrock, then there is no code for it. The wire was fished down through the walls and to the box. How would you secure the cable without tearing out the wall?

Old 02-21-07, 02:13 PM
the walls are open. This is new work

Old 02-21-07, 03:13 PM
You need to fur out the studs to there is enough depth in there for a box.

Old 02-21-07, 04:04 PM
Couldn't you route the wiring through the top or bottom of the work box so the wiring isn't on the wall?

**Nevermind, ignore this post.**

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 02-21-07 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Ignore this post
Old 02-28-07, 10:01 AM
There is enough room for the box. There's about 1/2" of room between the back of the box and the 2x4.

My question really pertains to shanking out or missing the stud all together when putting up drywall. The back of the plastic, new work box has the 12-2 NM cable within 1/2" of the stud. How do you protect against shanking out or missing the stud when putting up drywall?

Obviously any hole within 1-1/4" needs a plate over it, but what about drywall screws that shank or miss the stud? do you put a large square plate on the stud to cover the back of the box?

Old 02-28-07, 10:28 AM
jn
Are you pulling the box out on the open side to allow for the thickness of the drywall?
Off the top of my head, I thought that the standard boxes are only about 2 1/2" deep , if that.
If you pull the box out a 1/2" to allow for the drywall, that leaves about 1 1/2" of clearance from the back of the box to the back wall.

I guess if you are using deep boxes you could have a problem.
Is this the case?

Old 02-28-07, 12:58 PM
yes, I am referring to 22 cu in boxes. I need them because of box fill calc's.

Old 03-01-07, 07:09 AM
jn
This is an interesting question, as I am sure there have been MANY deep boxes installed in new construction but I have never seen anyone concerned about this nor have I seen metal plates installed for this situation.
(With that said, that doesn't make it right!)
If you want to get further away from the stud that will be used to screw down the drywall, I wonder if it wouldn't be easier for you to cut a short piece of 2X4 to space the box away from the stud. This would at least shift the box an 1 1/2" away from the area where the drywallers will be screwing. I suppose a metal plate would offer even more protection...

Old 03-01-07, 07:17 AM
What you have now is common practice. I don't think there is any further mitigation to be done.

Old 03-01-07, 07:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think it's just fine the way it is; this is a common installation. If it really bothers you, use a steel box or a Carlon Super Tough plastic (I think that's the name) -- those are virtually indestructible.

edit: Carlon SuperBlue Hard Shell