kitchen rewire

Old 02-21-07, 07:55 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kitchen rewire

Hi,

First post, so please bear with me. I am in the process of remodelling my kitchen and have a couple of questions that i hope can be answered.

First of all, my house is a 60's range type, and only has a 100amp supply, and the service panel is currently full. During the investigation of the current circuits i have noticed that there is currently only one dedicated small appliance circuit, the other small appliance circuit is shared with the laundry area circuit (the laundry area also has a seperate 30Amp circuit for a dryer which isn't used as we have a gas dryer).

As space is scarce in my sub-panel, i can't simply bang in another circuit. My gas range has a dedicated circuit only used for ignition, can this be used for the other appliance range? Or can i use the circuit i mentioned above (laundry area circuit) as the other small appliance circuit.

I have questions about spacings of receptacles on peninsula's but that is a whole different post!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-07, 05:12 AM
J
Countertop receptacles require 2 20A dedicated circuits. If you do have not space, you have two choices: upgrade the panel, if the panel is original that is a good idea; or install a sub panel.

Old 02-22-07, 05:58 AM
R
You must have two (or more) small appliance circuits. The gas range can be on one of those circuits. The laundry cannot be. I suggest additional circuits NOW while you are remodeling. I suggest a dedicated circuit for the microwave oven and a dedicated circuit for the refrigerator.

As for panel space, you have quite a few options. Removing the dryer breaker will free up two spaces. You can install tandem breakers if the panel supports them. You can install a sub panel.