Electronic Ballast Capabilities

Old 02-22-07, 06:26 PM
mho
Electronic Ballast Capabilities

What is the long-term impact on an electronic ballast designed to operate two 4' florescent bulbs (T8s) of operating with only one tube installed in the fixture? The single tube seems to come on instantly and with near-normal illumination levels.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-07, 07:14 PM
Might not be any. Depends on the ballast. The ones we use a work are rated for one OR two tubes.

Old 02-22-07, 07:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Whaat?

Why do you ask? 1 tube, buy a 1 tube ballast. 2 buy a 2 tube ballast.

Long term.. they work untill they don't..... Then we buy a new one. for the lamps we have.

These are disposable items. (we do recycle them). When they don't work, get another one.

Old 02-23-07, 10:49 PM
sorry to step in pretty late but for most electronic ballast it will be depending on the connection if in parallel it can run one or two tubes

the same with 3 or 4 lamp verison as well so same thing as well

but if the electronic ballast say rapid start series connection then if one bulb burn out it will shut off the other bulb just like ole magantic ballast system will do it

i work on alot of electronic ballast most percentage are " instat " starting aka parallel connection but few other have other type of connection as well depending on the area it will be using it will make the diffrence

but if ballast say one or two lamps then it will not affect the performace at all

Merci , Marc

Old 02-24-07, 09:12 AM
mho
To all:
I was asked why I care. It is kind of a long story, but I have a short term need for reduced illumination in a space where I presently have numerous 2-tube florescent fixtures. That is why I'd like to reduce each fixture by one tube for a short period of time without putting the ballasts is jeopardy. Since I asked the question, I've taken a closer look at the balllasts and as it turns out, they are rated for operation with either one or two tubes. So I should be good to go.
Tnx for all responses.
Mho