Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

transfer switch -not for generator- switch apartment back to main feed

Old 02-23-07, 09:10 PM

I recently purchased a 2000 sq ft building that is already divided into 3 apartments, (each is pretty small -obviously); there are 3 meters- or at least bases for 3 meters, I am having an electrician add a house meter for a common laundry unit, and for exterior security lighting. I am interested in having a switch that will allow me to feed one or more apartments off of the house meter, (I am envisioning breaks between tenants as time for improvements, and want to avoid periods of multiple electric bills, and possible changes between shorter term rentals [with electric bills paid by me] and longer term rentals [with electric bills paid by the tenant].

Are switches (a transfer switch) like this available? (point me in the right direction if so) Is it possible to do what I want to do - or is what I want to do not very smart for some other reason that I am not thinking of?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-07, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator
smaturin,

I'm not sure if this fits in your situation but here where there are multiple meters in in a rental situation the bill from the power company is in the tenant's name.
When the tenant moves out the power co is notified and if the billing is not immediately transfered to another tenant it automatically gets billed to the landlord.

Old 02-24-07, 04:04 AM
You would need a large house panel and a transfer switch for each apartment wired between the apartments meter and the apartments panel.

Just off the top of my head about 5000.00 labor and materials. Maybe more depending on how the equipment costs work out.

My grandmother had a deal with the utility. When a tennant moved out they did not turn off the power, they just took a reading and she assumed the bill till a new tennant moved in.

You could also just sub meter the tennants. I am not sure how it works legally, but I believe you are fine as long as you do not make a profit, so just charge the current utility rate.