sink too close to distribution panel?

Old 02-24-07, 04:04 AM
sink too close to distribution panel?

I have a 5'x8' utility room. south wall (5') has boiler, north wall has distribution panel. I'd like to put a utility sink on the west wall. how far does it have to be from the distribution panel? I have a felling I'm too close. I thought of putting a partition between the sink and the panel. Is there a minimum distance you must have from a panel to a wall across from it? in other words, if I do this, while working on the panel, you would have your back against a wall.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-07, 04:52 AM
Working space about a panel is:

30 inches wide, or the width of the panel which ever is greater (this does not need to be center on the panel it can share one side with one panel side or the other or be any where in that zone)

36 inches deep (measured from the panel face),

and should extend from floor to ceiling (in a residential setting, other rules apply in industrial settings where the ceiling may be 100 foot up, or voltages or other conditions may be different)

Old 02-24-07, 04:54 AM
I forgot to mention that there is no required distance from a sink, as long as the working space requirement is met.

Old 02-24-07, 05:01 AM
thanks for the info. I thought for sure there would be some kind of restriction on sinks, since a bathroom outlet had to be gfi. I'm doing a lot of work, so next time I have the inspector here, I'll throw it by him, to make sure there are no local restrictions, or his personal restrictions.

Old 02-24-07, 05:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why would you think there is a restriction?
There are no outlets in a panel. The GFI requirements are for receptacles. The sink issue is with plugging things in, not flipping a breaker.
Like JW said, as long as clearances are met you are fine.
There is nothing unsafe about a sink ~18" away from panel.

Old 02-24-07, 05:14 AM
GFI protection covers two main areas. First is cord and plug appliances.

It would be easy to drop a hair dryer in a sink by mistake.

Second is places where a person is in the water, like hot tubs and pools. (lights above a bath tub in some cases)

This may sound a bit harsh, but if someone is going to stick one hand in a live electrical panel, and the other in a sink full of water, then the Darwin Theroy is gonna get um soon enough anyway.

Old 02-24-07, 05:24 AM
I thought there would be a restriction simply because water and electricity don't mix. I do a lot of outside construction, and the rules that OSHA comes up with a lot of times are to protect the person that would work on a panel while sticking his hand in the sink. just thougth I would check before I wasted my time. thanks to you both.

Old 02-24-07, 05:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Like JW said, when Darwin steps in, no one can change his mind.