Old wiring

Old 02-27-07, 11:07 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old wiring

My NY 1928 Cape has armored wiring in the walls and cielings, which has the old and cracked cloth covered wire inside the armor. I want to know if I can pull this old wire out and reinsert new wire? My issue is that I do not care to tear out all of the drywall that is in place. There are only a few lines that I cannot replace easily like in the basement and actic.

Old 02-27-07, 11:28 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
No you can not. That is a cable assy not a conduit assy. It is constructed as one piece and not designed for the wries to be removed and replaced.

Old 02-27-07, 11:46 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking

cable assy, conduit assy, I understand. I like dry wall work anyway. Thanks

Old 02-27-07, 01:50 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Just to add, your existing receptacles almost certainly do not meet modern spacing requirements anyway; so while you're into the drywall, you can add new receptacles where they are required.

Old 02-27-07, 02:06 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If the only wires that are hard to replace are in the attic and basement you might consider just running surface race or surface mounted conduit if the area appearance isn't critical. Not knowing the location of your panel I'm only guessing but at most it seems you might only need to cut out one section of sheet rock at the panel to run several circuits to a central Jbox in the attic and basement. Or again if appearance wcouldn't be a critical factor run conduit carrying several circuits to each area on the outside of the house to avoid any Sheetrock work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: