Wiring in Older House-

Old 02-25-07, 06:01 AM
Wiring in Older House-

Greetings--

Most of the wiring in my older house is the 2 wire type (black/white- no ground). The previous owners added several receptacles in the converted garage/laundry room.

These have 3-wire connections. In the pannel, the ground is connected to the same bus (is that the right word here?) as the white (neutral). Is this OK ? OR Does the ground wire need to be connected somewhere else in the pannel ?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-07, 06:09 AM
If this is the main panel for the house, then the grounds and neutrals go on the same buss. (yes that is the right word)

So I need to ask: As the incomming wires from the utility fly, is there another panel or disconnect switch between this panel and the utility transformer? The meter should be in this line, but does not count unless it has a circuit beaker in it.

Old 02-25-07, 06:22 AM
Yes-- this is the main (only) pannel. It has the meter and main breakers on it.

Thanks for the info !

Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
If this is the main panel for the house, then the grounds and neutrals go on the same buss. (yes that is the right word)

So I need to ask: As the incomming wires from the utility fly, is there another panel or disconnect switch between this panel and the utility transformer? The meter should be in this line, but does not count unless it has a circuit beaker in it.