wiring for ceiling fan

Old 02-25-07, 04:08 PM
Question wiring for ceiling fan

I am trying to install a ceiling fan in the bedroom of my condo. There are only two wires coming from the ceiling, one white and one yellow. I have combined the wires in the ceiling with the wires from the fan (which includes one green wire, one white, one black, and one black & white) in the following ways and cannot seem to get them to work: 1) White to White and Green; Yellow to Black and Black & White, 2) Yellow to White and Green; White to Black and Black & White. I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any tips or advice on how to proceed.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-07, 04:19 PM
Green is ground. It gets connected to the bare wire or green wire on the fan.
The yellow wire is the hot wire. It gets connected to the black wires.
The white connects to the white.
If this unit has a wall switch it will control both the fan and the lights.

Old 02-25-07, 08:38 PM
First, what country are you in, and how old is the wiring? Are you SURE there isn't another wire (possibly bare and painted in the back) of the box?

Was anything hooked up in this box prior to you trying to put a fan there? Do you have any kind of electrical testers? If not, buy an inexpensive one the senses voltage and glows when it is present, between $10 and $20 (USD) and priceless.

Old 02-25-07, 08:59 PM
Don't guess. You might damage your fan or yourself. Even worse, you might get it to work. But not everything that works is safe. So you might leave some latent hazard ready to cause problems months or years later.

Any chance you live in the greater Chicago area? In what year was your house built?