Circuit Breaker Popping

Old 02-26-07, 05:37 PM
Circuit Breaker Popping

I have a 15 amp circuit breaker, and for the past few months it's been popping off. It will work for a few weeks perfectly fine, then with out ever changing anything it pops off for awhile. The only item plugged in to this circuit is the over-range Microwave, Empty Plug by Stove, and Dishwasher on ajoining wall. At first we thought it was due to running the dishwasher and microwave at same time but now it's popping with just the dishwasher sometimes even with just the microwave running.

So when I go down to the Circuit Box all is quiet, but as soon as I flip this switch, it powers up and I hear a humm from the box, prior to that nothing at all. So I'm not sure if this means anything, but I hope so.
Well like I said it is a 15amp breaker that has 2 toggles on it. Seems like it is one single box with 2 switches.

So do you think it is just a bad Breaker, or too much load on the breaker? If it is too much load can I just change it froma 15Amp to a 20Amp?

We moved in to the home in July, and all seemed to work great until this prior Dec.
Anyhow any advice would be apperciated.

Thanks
Chip

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-07, 06:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unless you have 12 gauge wire from the panel to these receptacles, you will not be able to upgrade to a 20 amp circuit. But it does sound as if you have a bad breaker. Small investment to find out. Replace it and see if the situation replicates itself.

Old 02-26-07, 06:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How old is the house?
If and only IF... You are comfortable with working in the panel,

Disconnect 1 ckt and let it ride. if it does not "humm" this ckt could be bad.
Do this with both ckts.. Run/operate what ever appliancee is still connected. see what that brings. The ckt that "humms" needs repair.

If an older home.. a new breaker may do it.. But only if your wireing is not faulty.

Old 02-26-07, 06:50 PM
You cannot just change the breaker to a 20 amp one.

You need to check the connections on the circuit, starting at the panel and checking each receptacle. Look for and fix any loose wires.

Old 02-27-07, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I'll replace the circuit and make sure all wires are tightened up and not touching anything outside of the plugs. Then powerup and see what that brings.

once again thanks for the info.

Chip