Question about properlly connecting an on and off switch

Old 02-26-07, 06:12 PM
Question about properlly connecting an on and off switch

The problem I'm having is hooking up a double pole switch going to our well. We recently purchased a home and someone had stole the copper wiring that was connecting our well pump to the breaker box inside the house. I went and bought 12/2 wiring to redo the wiring and a new on/off switch but I'm having a little bit of trouble with it. Every time I try flipping it on from within the house and then when I go outside to turn it on it flips off in the breaker box so I know that it's not correctly connected on the on/off switch. My question is which wires goes where. Basically which side do they go on.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-07, 06:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pump

1st. ASSERT your 2nd amendment So this will NEVER happen again (advised to all).

2nd. what size breaker is it? 120-240- etc. need to know if the 12/2 is enough.
3rd. how is the pump wired and what type of wire did you install? (conduit etc.)
4th. How far is the run? (pump to panel)
5th. Typicaly, the feed (hot wires) go on the top screws, And the load (pump) wires on the bottom.

This however will be no use if the 12 gauge is too small. But a start.

Old 02-26-07, 07:47 PM
There isn't just one way to do this. So we really need more information. Like where did you run your new cable from and to, how did you connect it at each end, and a bunch of other things.

Old 02-27-07, 06:44 AM
Group Moderator
You write: "double pole switch". Does it have four screws or two. Are you referring to a switch in the pump house?

Old 02-28-07, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
You write: "double pole switch". Does it have four screws or two. Are you referring to a switch in the pump house?
And if it has four screws, make sure it's a double pole switch and not a four way switch.