Adding a subpanel in "fire wall" in garage

Old 02-27-07, 09:02 AM
jdu
Adding a subpanel in "fire wall" in garage

All,
I've had discussions with a journeyman electrician about the location of where I want to install a 70A subpanel in my garage. I would like to add the subpanel (recessed) in the wall that divides the interior of the house to the garage. He told me that this wall was called a "fire wall" and it would not be to code to install it into this wall. I was told that I would have to surface mount it to this wall and any wiring that passes thru this wall needs to be in conduit and fire caulked. I live in California and am wondering if this is indeed the case.

Thanks.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-07, 09:12 AM
This is a fire code, not an electrical code, but I believe the information you received is correct. If you really wanted to recess this panel in this wall, you could probably compensate by adding a second layer of 5/8" Type X drywall to the inside (thus restoring the fire rating that you compromised by cutting hole in the other side of the wall).

Old 02-27-07, 10:15 AM
jdu
I will mount the subpanel on the wall as opposed to a recessed install. I also only want to go through the trouble of installing conduit once and use this conduit for routing wires to the subpanel for all future circuits. Given a 100A subpanel,

1) what would be a safe conduit size and type to install between the subpanel to under the house, and subpanel to over the house through the fire wall to allow plenty of room for future runs

2) what special measures do I need to take given the conduit will pass through a fire wall

also, I am fine with running several conduit runs as opposed to one big one. Also, this conduit I am asking about does not have to include the #4-4-4-8 as that will be thru it's own.

Thanks.
Jason

Old 02-27-07, 06:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No Idea on CA codes.
I would think there would be no issue (and plenty of room) if you you ran 2-3 1" conduits into an area that can be accessed later.
Put these into a 10"x10" can (box). This way you can run the NMs' to the can and extend with THWNs to the panel. seal up what you must. Lots of room for expansion.