gfci c/b question

Old 02-27-07, 10:16 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile gfci c/b question

Hello Gentleman and or kind ladies. A handyman who does some electrical work, shared with me that as a temporary fix (I suppose until he finds the correct replacement part) he removes the grounded neutral conductor from the silver screw of the gfci and attaches it to the neutral bar so that the gfci breaker acts as a standard c/b. Is this any kind of a standard practice that is performed by electricians? (would it theoretically work?) Question #3, If a gfci c/b doesn't want to reset, but that circuit works ok on a equal value regular c/b in "said panel", what do I make of that? One last question, what is the correct order of steps to take to diagnose a gfci c/b that doesn't want to reset? Ooops one more question. Does each manufacturer of c/br's make their own gfci c/br's, or are gfci c/br's in some way universal. How do I know if the gfci c/b I'm replacing is the correct one for that panel? Thanx in advance for your precious time

Old 02-27-07, 10:33 PM
F
Q1] he removes the grounded neutral conductor from the silver screw of the gfci so that the gfci breaker acts as a standard c/b. Is this any kind of a standard practice that is performed by electricians? (would it theoretically work?)

Q2] If a gfci c/b doesn't want to reset, but that circuit works ok on a equal value regular c/b in "said panel", what do I make of that?

Q3] what is the correct order of steps to take to diagnose a gfci c/b that doesn't want to reset?

Q4]Does each manufacturer of c/br's make their own gfci c/br's, or are gfci c/br's in some way universal.

A1] no because the GFCI breaker need the netural line to order to get the tripping system working properly but if this is the gfci repectale you can not do that.

A2] there is two way to reset the GFCI breaker one is reset the toggle handle like convetal breaker and other thing that majorty of GFCI breaker do have " test " button there as well you have to push the test button to trip that breaker if do not trip either the wiring is bad or breaker is bad.

A3] it depending on the wiring system and repectale you may have to do this in old fashion methiold is remove one repecale at time and inspect the wiring there and make sure the netrual and ground wire are not touching each other

A4] majorty of breaker box manufacter do make their own GFCI breaker but there are very i say very few breaker that can fit in other box but i will not recomed at all due the safety reason so please read the breaker box label very carefully there make sure you have same type of breaker , amparage [ size as well ]

Old 02-27-07, 11:13 PM
W
1) GFCIs work by sensing the current balance between hot and neutral. If the two currents are different, then current has to be going someplace else, and the breaker opens. If you remove the neutral circuit connection from the GFCI and connect it directly to the neutral bar, then you will cause just such an imbalance condition and _cause_ the GFCI to trip.

2) If the GFCI breaker is tripping on the circuit, but things appear to work on a normal breaker, then this most likely indicates some sort of wiring fault that doesn't have lots of voltage across it. The three most common such faults would be a neutral to ground fault, a neutral fault to the neutral of another circuit, or a hot fault to the hot of another circuit. In all of these cases, the fault doesn't have much voltage across it, so you don't see lots of 'short circuit' current flowing. Instead you see a small amount of current flow, enough to trip the GFCI.

3) I don't think that I can give a good step by step analysis approach.

4) Circuit breakers must be either A) listed on the panel label as permitted, usually the panel label will only list a set of types from the same manufacturer, or B) must be classified for the panel, meaning that a testing lab has officially determined that the breaker will work in the panel. For classified breakers, you have to check with the breaker manufacturer for a list of panels that the breaker is suitable for.

-Jon

Old 02-28-07, 12:21 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Q.) A handyman who does some electrical work, shared with me that as a temporary fix (I suppose until he finds the correct replacement part) he removes the grounded neutral conductor from the silver screw of the gfci and attaches it to the neutral bar so that the gfci breaker acts as a standard c/b. Is this any kind of a standard practice that is performed by electricians?(would it theoretically work?)

A.) No this will not work. The gfci breaker will immediately trip when a load is applied to the circuit such as turning a light on or plugging something into an outlet. The neutral of the branch circuit must be connected to the gfci breaker and the pigtail of the breaker connected to the neutral bar.

Q,) If a gfci c/b doesn't want to reset, but that circuit works ok on a equal value regular c/b in "said panel", what do I make of that?

A.) First check to make sure you have the gfci breaker wired correctly. Neutral of branch circuit to gfci and pigtail of gfci to neutral bar and hot wire of branch circuit to the appropriate lug on gfci.

Before we give troubleshooting instructions please explain what you are doing and why the addition of the gfci breakers. Have you added some wiring or circuits.... changed out receptacles etc,,,,

roger

Old 02-28-07, 06:47 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What Does This Ckt Operate?

Thats my question. Bypass it... You may be in a world of POOP!
Then again.. you may save $000 whats your life worth (or our kids).

More info is needed before a good answer can be given.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: