Recessed light housing

Old 02-28-07, 07:54 AM
Recessed light housing

Is it necessary that a recessed light housing be flush with the bottom (living area) of a ceiling?

I currently have two recessed lights with eyeball inserts installed in my living room ceiling. They are installed flush with the ceiling. The ceiling is textured, and in continuing a project that I started in the kitchen, I am covering over the texture with 3/8" drywall. When I get to the recessed lights, can I cut the circle in the drywall but leave the housing where it is? The eyeballs are the insert type and when reinstalled will cover the rough edges of the drywall. Or is it necessary for me to lower the housing 3/8" to make it flush with the new ceiling?

Thanks,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-07, 08:14 AM
You need to lower the housing. It doesn't need to be fully flush, but 1/4" is the maximum setback allowed.

Old 02-28-07, 08:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most recessed housings have adjustable depth if you loosen up the wingnuts (or sometimes sheetmetal screws) inside the can.

Old 02-28-07, 10:36 AM
jn
If you know what kind of recessed light is in the ceiling, it may help you out to go to the store and look one over if you don't understand what ipbooks is saying...That way you will fully understand what you are loosening to achieve the depth change you desire.