upgrading service panel

Old 02-28-07, 09:02 AM
Smile upgrading service panel

I am thinking of upgrading service panel to get rid of the old fuse type panel.
I wish to use that new panel for an electric dryer, the most common dryer on the market.

How many amps do I need? 60Amp is too small, i'm afraid.
The meter has to be replaced?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-07, 09:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, 60 amps is too small. The Code now requires a 100 amp minimum.

To properly size the service a load calculation should be performed. The will figure in things like the square footage of the house, required circuits, appliances like AC, dryers, hot water heaters etc.

There are more factors involved in the service upgrade than just replacing the meter socket. Grounding will be upgraded, service cable sizes will increase etc.

Old 02-28-07, 09:47 AM
Thank you for the info. I will hire an electrician anyway. Just wish to get some education here. By the way, what is the meter socket? Is it the metal post with supply wired inside and electric meter in the middle? It should be attached properly to the exterial wall, right?

And is the electric meter supposed to be replaced by the utility company?

Old 02-28-07, 11:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The meter socket is enclosure where the is installed. This typically has a glass cover over the meter.

The metal pipe that extends up from the meter socket is called a service mast. Yes, it should be properly attached to the wall. Your power company should have details on the proper method of securing this to the house. This will need to be replaced as most likely it is too small for the upgraded wire size.

The meter is supplied by your power company, but the socket may need to be supplied by the electrician.