Lighted Dimmer Switch for halogen light question

Old 03-02-07, 07:15 AM
Question Lighted Dimmer Switch for halogen light question

I want to install a lighted dimmer switch for a halogen light fixture. The single pole 600 W Max. switch has a warning that states:

"To avoid overheating and possible damage to other equipment do not install this device to control a receptacle, a fluorescent lighting fixture, a motor operated appliance, or a transformer-supplied appliance"

Does a halogen light fixture with a transformer equate to a "transformer-supplied appliance"? The fixture uses a JC type light bulb, 50 watts maximum.

If I can't use the the switch, is it because it is a dimmer switch or a lighted switch. (I'm assuming because it is a dimmer, but thought I'd ask)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-07, 07:40 AM
If you're using low-voltage halogen, you have the wrong switch. Why not just use line-voltage halogen?

Old 03-02-07, 08:18 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here. The fixture I'm installing is a pendant light hanging from my kitchen ceiling that will have a wall switch. Now I understand that JC type bulbs are low-voltage, so can I use a low voltage dimmer switch?

Thanks.

Old 03-02-07, 11:33 AM
A halogen light fixture with a built-in stepdown transformer has to be dimmed with a dimmer that is designed to work with transformers. It's because the transformer doesn't work well with the chopped power signal of the standard dimmers, extra circuitry is needed to work properly.

When I was buying dimmers, the $15 Lutron's at Lowe's weren't transformer rated, and would have had to special order a $30 Lutron. Instead I bought the same Lutron dimmer on the web for $22; in fact, we ordered all the dimmers for our new house, spending about $200 and saving about $50 over the box stores.

Old 03-02-07, 12:16 PM
Smile

Cool, thanks!

Not particularly enthused about that expensive of a dimmer switch, but now I know what to look for.