Replace ballast or fixture?

Old 03-03-07, 11:18 AM
Replace ballast or fixture?

I have deduced that the ballast in my fluorescent lighting fixture is bad. I know that the cost of replacing a ballast can be as much as the fixture itself, but which is the easier job?

If replacing the ballast is easier, can you please tell me how the wires from the ballast are to be removed and reconnected? I'm not familiar with these type of connectors.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-07, 11:24 AM
Wink

It will go in just like the one there .The wire layout most of the time is right on the top of the new one.

Old 03-03-07, 11:28 AM
I have the wire diagram and I don't have a problem understanding it. What I'm not clear on is how to get the old wires out and the new wires in. Is there some kind of release mechanism to release the wires?

Old 03-03-07, 11:44 AM
Wink

all the wires in it should be on wire nuts is all

Old 03-03-07, 11:48 AM
nap
it sounds like it is an original ballast and the wires are complete from the balast to the lamp sockets.

Simply cut the wires near the ballast (you don;t have to cut the hot and nuetral) and use wire nuts to connect them to the new ballast.

It is easier and simpler to do that rather than remove them from the lamp sockets

Old 03-03-07, 11:51 AM
Thanks, nap. I'll try your suggestion. I don't know how to get the old wires out of the sockets.l

Old 03-03-07, 12:22 PM
nap
that is what I am saying. do not remove the wires from the sockets.

Simply cut them free from the old ballast, remove the old ballast and strip and wirenut the old wires to the correct new wires on the new ballast.

Be sure to turn off the power to the light.

Old 03-04-07, 09:52 AM
The easiest to do is what Nap suggested.
The wires to the sockets are spring retained, similar to elec outlets with the 'push in' tabs at the rear. You can take a pin to push in at the contact point on the socket and pull the wire out...but its a nucance. Ive done that..and what Nap said as well. Another time I just replaced the whole fixture. Take your pick.

Old 03-04-07, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Actually you may have to cut the wires anyway even if you did want to try to replace them at the socket. I've seen replacement ballast with wires too short to reach.

Old 03-04-07, 04:08 PM
just want to head up with replacement ballast most useally have 18 inch lead on it so just cut the wires close to the old ballast and re hook up the new ballast per wiring connection digram but make sure you follow the digram very carefull because some ballast will have diffrent connetion than the old one will show it

espceally that true if you go from Rapid start[ series connection] to instat start ballast[ paraell connetion ]

so just becarefull there other wise it will be easy swap

oh yeah you will use at least 6- 8 wirenuts by the way [ most will be small orange wirenuts is the best size ]

Merci , Marc

Old 03-04-07, 04:14 PM
Fluores. Ligh.

If you are not sure how the wires are to be disconnected and reconnected how they were originally, i would just buy a new fluorescent fixture. This is one of the disadvantages of fluorescent lighting. I'm sure once you know how to do it, it will get a little easier ifyou do it more than once. I'm sure maintenance in offices, hospitals, and stores have no problem changing a ballast, since fluorescent lights are all around. So, if you are unsure, i would simply buy a new fixture, and save the bulbs if it is most exact to the fixture you already have......goodluck.